PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia in a Dr. Grabow Royalton for my morning walk before breakfast today.

View attachment 312370

I really like HH Pure Virginia. As far as dark Virginia flakes go I'd say it's about 80% as tasty as Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, but doesn't require any dry time or much in the way of relights so it's about 100% more convenient to smoke.puffy

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia in a Dr. Grabow Royalton for my morning walk before breakfast today.

View attachment 312370

I really like HH Pure Virginia. As far as dark Virginia flakes go I'd say it's about 80% as tasty as Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, but doesn't require any dry time or much in the way of relights so it's about 100% more convenient to smoke.puffy

Since I was comparing my morning smoke of Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia to Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, for my afternoon pipe I decided to pop open my jar of Full Virginia Flake and give it a smoke for comparison's sake while the HH Pure Virginia was still fresh in my mind. Today I've got it loaded in a Morgan Bones Milan.

20240523153527_IMG_5626~3.JPG

Puffing on the Full Virginia Flake right now, it's definitely a very similar blend to HH Pure Virginia. If you like one you'll like the other. The main difference I can find is that HH Pure Virginia's standout note is it's breadiness whereas Full Virginia Flake's most prominent note is green and black teas, but they both have that full range of Virginia flavors with the darker bread, tea, and earthy leaf litter flavors front and center and the bright grassy, hay, citrus, and occasional honey notes bringing up the rear.

It's almost an apples to apples comparison, with the only real deciding factor between the two being whether you prefer bread or tea as the main flavor note and whether or not you mind the half hour or so dry time that Full Virginia Flake tends to require after being rubbed out and the frequent relights it demands. Having now smoked them both today I think I'm rather agnostic on which I prefer.

They're both the finest examples of a dark Virginia flake that I've had the pleasure of smoking, though if I had to pick just one to smoke and forever banish the other from my cellar I think the keeper for me would be... HH Pure Virginia. I like the tin note better (HH Pure Virginia smells like fresh baked bread in the tin, whereas Full Virginia Flake smells a lot like Play-Doh) and how non-fussy HH Pure Virginia is to smoke. You just rub out the flake, pack it, and go. No dry time or extra relights required, and you could probably save yourself a step and just fold and stuff the flake if you were so inclined. It's just an easier and more forgiving smoke, and I retract my previous statement about HH Pure Virginia being 80% as tasty as Full Virginia Flake. It's every bit as good, and well worth a try if you're a fan of Virginia flakes.puffy

das3353

Lifer
Sep 7, 2019
GLP Navigator in a Radice Silk Cut

52891063573_e19f462375_o.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of the way through this bowl of Ken Byron Ventures Jim’s Special Flake 2023 in a 1984 black rusticated full bend Peterson Mark Twain military mount egg with a silver cap and tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Have to type with one finger because I'm cradling the sleeping li'l orange fella on my left arm.
Peterson_MarkTwain_Rusticated.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.