PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
And so begins my adventure in the "Group Tasting of Ancient Velvet Pipe Tobacco" (thank you @ashdigger !) I wanted to have a level playing field for trying the Velvet tobaccos. I didn't want to have the flavours influenced by previously smoked blends in used pipes from my collection; I wanted the same fresh, unsmoked pipes for the different iterations of the tobacco, so that the chambers would be close to identical and share the same smoking properties; to facilitate this, I picked up three Missouri Meerschaum MacArthur 5-Star Natural Straight Corn Cob pipes. I chose cobs to keep the cost of the experiment down, and it gave me a reason to pick up that model, which I was intrigued by for quite some time.

I'm going to start on the left with the dried 1920s Velvet straight from the tin that was still sealed until today. The middle pipe will be used for the rehydrated dry tobacco. I'm not sure how long it'll take to get it moist. I've got the tobacco in a bag with a quadrant of a Black Ice humidification device filled with steam distilled water. I'll have to smoke this one last (it could be a week from now, maybe longer). The pipe on the right is filled with the five year old "fresh" Velvet tobacco from the tin that ashdigger popped this past week.

IMG_20220522_015038.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just finished smoking Wilke No. 515 in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This was the blend Basil Rathbone smoked. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
For posterity's sake...the flake took six and a half hours to dry to adequate (by my standards) smokeability. But once it did...wowzers! I really dig this one. About as close to an aromatic without technically being one, much like Ashton Gold Rush, for example. I can see why this flake frustrates some pipe smokers though. Sometimes you want to just rub out a flake, load up your pipe and go, and not have to read War and Peace three times while waiting for it to dry.

Smoked this in the Medico whitewall, by the way...

View attachment 146817

Yes sir! Perfect description of UF, and I love UF !
You are a funny bugger @Servant King.

I haven't smoked UF for a while, I'm letting it sit in a jar until it gets to my desired level of moisture, when I first tried it I was on the fence but gradually after it took some airing out it becomes fantastic, and that topping - It's damn addictive.

(I had a tin rubbed out in a mason jar and although I dried it to the point of perfection I was worried it was too dry and rubbed out a fresh tin to go into the same jar to hydrate it some.
Noob mistake on my part - overthinking it - but I have learnt a lesson)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just passing the half way mark on this bowl of year 2013 Rotary Navy Cut in a post-1938 Pre-Republic Peterson Dublin straight smooth X155 bulldog with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Nigel Bruce smoked this model in two Sherlock Holmes movies.
Peterson_PR_Bulldog_XL155.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
About a third of a bowl left of Wilke Peanut Butter and Chocolate in a light brown 1979 rusticated medium bend Italian Sir Jeffrey Dublin sitter with a flared top and yellow saddle stem. I may end the day with this smoke. Fed Suzy and Molly, and Daisy the Feral Princess. Been busy reading reading updates on the 1919 Black Sox scandal. It's amazing how much misinformation grew up around this story although it's very evident the ball players with the likely exception of Buck Weaver, who knew about it all, were guilty. I'm surprised to see how new information is still sought and some found.
Sir_Jeffrey_Dublin.jpg

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and have about a quarter of a bowl left of year 2012 Sutliff BRG in a brown “rocky” smooth medium bend 1970s Peterson 309 Standard sculpted billiard military mount with a nickel ferrule and a black vulcanite saddle stem.
View attachment 146836
I like that Pete! I don’t think I’ve ever seen one like it, and I’ve laid eyes on a lot of Petersons.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Last couple of days didn't post but I'm still breaking in my Peterson Deluxe 150 with Macbaren golden blend/extra while admiring my tiny yard and the work I did to it (cutting the hedges). Although I expected more from this pipe for its price, like a straight drill and a stem that is not stuck beyond believe because it looks a bit crooked, I must say I'm impressed in the way it breaks in and the way it smokes.

IMG_20220522_143354.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.