PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Got a rubbed out bowl of Peterson University Flake drying on a paper towel. It will hopefully be ready to smoke by Halloween. ?

Bird report: Common raven, California scrub-jay, Western kingbird, Mountain chickadee (my favorite!), California towhee, California quail, Northern flicker, and House finch. Very active day.
For posterity's sake...the flake took six and a half hours to dry to adequate (by my standards) smokeability. But once it did...wowzers! I really dig this one. About as close to an aromatic without technically being one, much like Ashton Gold Rush, for example. I can see why this flake frustrates some pipe smokers though. Sometimes you want to just rub out a flake, load up your pipe and go, and not have to read War and Peace three times while waiting for it to dry.

Smoked this in the Medico whitewall, by the way...

medico.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of the way through this bowl of year 2016 Sutliff 507-C Slices in a black sandblast PSB medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY 4AB No. 228/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
4AB_PSB_left.jpg

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
@Carol I still think Latakia sounds like a cheap car made in Syria before the civil war broke out:)
Yeah, it's a strange word. But good tobacco. I don't want the so called "latakia bombs", like Pirate Kake. But a light smokey lat, like in my favorite, Shepherd's Pie, is delicious. To me it's like a steak grilled over charcoal, vs fried in a skillet on a stove. Of course the grilled is better! LOL!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
For posterity's sake...the flake took six and a half hours to dry to adequate (by my standards) smokeability. But once it did...wowzers! I really dig this one. About as close to an aromatic without technically being one, much like Ashton Gold Rush, for example. I can see why this flake frustrates some pipe smokers though. Sometimes you want to just rub out a flake, load up your pipe and go, and not have to read War and Peace three times while waiting for it to dry.
That made me chuckle out loud, which I don't typically do.

I recently tried University Flake and liked it a lot. It will go into my regular rotation and I will need to pick up a few more tins with the next Peterson sale.

I enjoy reading while smoking a pipe in the early weekend mornings with a bottomless cup of coffee or diet soda. War and Peace may be on the agenda, but a ways away.

I typically set out a few flakes to dry during the week for my weekend enjoyment. But I have heard good things about using a coffee warmer (and possibly a few coins separating the unit from the tin) and may have to give it a try.

Enjoy.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and have about a quarter of a bowl left of year 2012 Sutliff BRG in a brown “rocky” smooth medium bend 1970s Peterson 309 Standard sculpted billiard military mount with a nickel ferrule and a black vulcanite saddle stem.
Peterson_Sculpted.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.