PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I am thinking to order some Patriot Flake or Hamborger Veermaster. How does it compare to others blends of this genre (straight Virginia)?

This week i will have G.L Pease Union Square. In the next order, I'm thinking for another one straight Virginia. I want some very good quality straight Virginia. My choices are between:
-Dan Patriot Flakes
-Dan Hamborger Veermaster
-Peterson Flake
-Orlik Golden Sliced
-Sutliff Crumble Kake Red Virginia.

For me Veermaster, “Peterson” Flake and Orlik Golden Sliced all fall in the same category- bright VAs that don’t appeal to me. Not sweet, very much grassy/hay flavors, thin bodied, easy to heat up.

Patriot Flake and Sutliff CK Red VA are entirely different animals. Patriot leans red and dark VAs, probably from Africa. Fuller bodied, sweet in a natural way, and gives the impression that a small amount of oriental tobaccos are present (no idea if they are or aren’t). Sutliff Red VA is smooth, sweet, and rich but vinegar is definitely part of the processing. Some don’t like the vinegar part, but I do.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Another bowl of cube cut Sam Gawith’s St.Jame’s Flake
I like this, but really want to see if I LOVE it (enough to smoke back-to-back bowls)

In a cased 1913 BBB straight billiard. Army mount amber stem, orific bit

This tin was bought in 2019 and the Perique is still peppery
I prefer my VaPers on the figgy, raisiny spectrum
I’ll cellar the rest of the other tins for a couple more years before broaching the next.

AD34E7A2-5F8D-43B5-B5C4-43C896F5D4E7.jpegD51C84D5-73B0-4A35-89D1-45A2578A255D.jpeg

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I'm a bit late here, but in the interest of full disclosure, Mac Baren Golden Extra in my gifted (thanks @TheIronMonkey !) Foyard beechwood Rhodesian. Other than some assorted sparrows and crows, very little bird activity today, due to the incoming storm (again). This winter has been absolutely off the hook.

foyard.jpg

Should sleep like a brick after this.
Bricks never sleep. Wait, I'm thinking of rust...it's rust that never sleeps! Nevermind, my bad.

I wonder what happens when a brick becomes rusty. 🤔 Probably would cause the implosion of the universe or something. 🤓

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I am thinking to order some Patriot Flake or Hamborger Veermaster. How does it compare to others blends of this genre (straight Virginia)?

This week i will have G.L Pease Union Square. In the next order, I'm thinking for another one straight Virginia. I want some very good quality straight Virginia. My choices are between:
-Dan Patriot Flakes
-Dan Hamborger Veermaster
-Peterson Flake
-Orlik Golden Sliced
-Sutliff Crumble Kake Red Virginia.
Very Good Straight Virginia. I love love love:
Hamborger Veermaster
Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia
Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices

Status
Not open for further replies.