PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, steel head trout and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm a third of the way through this bowl of year 2014 Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake in a smooth straight brown mid-1930s Linkman’s Dr. Grabow Supreme Bruyere 9456A patent 1896800 billiard with a nickel band and a black vulcanite saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Linkman-Grabow-Supreme9456A-billiard.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
D&R Two Timer twice toasted burley in a Dr. Grabow Royalton straight rusticated apple. D&R may have moved out of state but started here in N.C., and Dr. Grabow pipes started in Chicago but moved to Sparta, N.C., many years ago. So this is a home state smoke.

das3353

Lifer
Sep 7, 2019
I am thinking to order some Patriot Flake or Hamborger Veermaster. How does it compare to others blends of this genre (straight Virginia)?

This week i will have G.L Pease Union Square. In the next order, I'm thinking for another one straight Virginia. I want some very good quality straight Virginia. My choices are between:
-Dan Patriot Flakes
-Dan Hamborger Veermaster
-Peterson Flake
-Orlik Golden Sliced
-Sutliff Crumble Kake Red Virginia.
To me Patriot Flake and Veermaster are similar. Both are hay type virginias with a little sweetness. Veermaster is the lighter of the two and a little more citrusy. Patriot Flake is spicier and the fruitiness a bit darker. I like them both and will probably buy some more to put away and see how they age.

I love Union Square. It’s mildly sweet and to me has a wheaty/grainy cereal quality to it that I really enjoy. Like most C&D produced virginias, it greatly improves with some age.

A lot of people really like OGS, but for me it’s in the “why am I smoking this” category. It’s not bad, just meh.

I’ve never had Peterson Flake or Sutliff Crumble Kake.

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
To me Patriot Flake and Veermaster are similar. Both are hay type virginias with a little sweetness. Veermaster is the lighter of the two and a little more citrusy. Patriot Flake is spicier and the fruitiness a bit darker. I like them both and will probably buy some more to put away and see how they age.

I love Union Square. It’s mildly sweet and to me has a wheaty/grainy cereal quality to it that I really enjoy. Like most C&D produced virginias, it greatly improves with some age.

A lot of people really like OGS, but for me it’s in the “why am I smoking this” category. It’s not bad, just meh.

I’ve never had Peterson Flake or Sutliff Crumble Kake.
From your description, I'm leaning more towards to Patriot Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.