PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
On IPSD I could not resist the siren song of this new in box unsmoked Mastro de Paja that has been at a B&M in my old neighborhood for at least 10 years (and maybe 20)... made an offer, and ended up with a price we both could work with. It's a 3A L ..pear(?) shape. Dunhill The Aperitif will be the anointing blend. Sunny outside, not windy, and comfortable without a coat!
IMG_3350.jpg

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
Well, I’m figuring a light every 5-10mins., so like maybe 7-10 an hour, give or take.

I smoke blends that have a fair amount of complexity, so I’ve never been one to try and keep the pipe lit.

I always only light a little, take some puffs and let it go out. On the occasion the blend doesn’t have bite and is mild, sometimes after lighting I’ll tamp a little to puff a little while longer, but only for a few minutes.

I also just need to take a break, and give my mouth a rest. I don’t find constant puffing enjoyable, and any blends I’ve smoked, the longer they stay lit, many of the complex nuances diminish so does the quality.

I believe high quality, complex blends are to be sipped and savored, with less flame, and only staying lit to sip and savor a few puffs. :)

If you smoke complex blends, try it like this next time, and you’ll notice more nuances in the blend to taste. ;)

Even a high quality Straight VA, as an example can be complex, with a wide spectrum of flavors;

bread, hay, grass, floral, citrus, fruit like, raisins, graham, and many more...

P.S. If there was a secret to all of this, I believe allowing the pipe and tobacco to cool all the way down, and then relighting brings out the best in complex blends.
Thanks. I'll try that.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Thank you. I figure it only takes an extra minute or two to set up the cloth, so why not make the pic a little better than just shooting it on the bed, which I used to do. I originally bought the cloth to cover some foam to use at the bottom of my Colossus Pipe Factory copper and glass humidor from the early 20th Century to use as a small display case for some of my C.P.F. tobacciana. It didn't take much cloth and the amount left over was big enough to use as a backdrop.
ok, need to see a pic of this humidor!

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
On IPSD I could not resist the siren song of this new in box unsmoked Mastro de Paja that has been at a B&M in my old neighborhood for at least 10 years (and maybe 20)... made an offer, and ended up with a price we both could work with. It's a 3A L ..pear(?) shape. Dunhill The Aperitif will be the anointing blend. Sunny outside, not windy, and comfortable without a coat!
View attachment 207793
Oh my goodness this blend really checks all my boxes. Sipping along about 2/3rds way through. Very happy I found it and my wife was visiting our son today and was able to get two more tins for me this afternoon! Listening to an old PipesMag podcast #209 and Rich Esserman commented that this was his favorite and would buy it 20 tins at a time.. This really is a superlative blend. I missed the whole McClelland period, and this has been discontinued...and so far Peterson hasn't re-released it? That is a crime!

separately, this is the kind of traffic I had to deal with today. Damn birds think they own the road.
IMG_3339.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I figure it only takes an extra minute or two to set up the cloth, so why not make the pic a little better than just shooting it on the bed, which I used to do.
But I'm told the bed is where the magic happens.

As for me, beds are overrated. Rock and roll doesn't sleep; it just passes out for awhile (he said while wanting a good night sleep in his very comfortable bed).

Status
Not open for further replies.