PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christos D. Tsatsaronis

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 16, 2018
Athens, Greece
Hello all. I am smoking some more of the John Aylesbury Mixture no 777 in a MM corn cob Patriot. The stem is changed and there is a small story behind this change, which with your permission (that -as before- I take it by myself) I will tell you.
Some years before, in my fist steps in pipe smoking, I had an accident with one of my first pipes, a Mr Brog, the stem was damaged (tenon was broken). Afterwards I faced the same issue with a couple of other Mr Brog pipes, perhaps this is a weak point, I don't know.
Anyway, I asked in my pipe club's Internet Forum (pipeclub.gr) for advice or help. And indeed, an old member, responded and said me he could repair my pipe. We arranged a meeting at a café that was very close to my job and where, by coincidence, he was a frequent customer. I went there and I met a man elder than I expected, a noble figure, grey/white hair and goatee, aristocratic manners, a gentleman/pipe smoker "of previous times" I could say... We drank coffee, smoked our pipes and talked. He explained to me that he was a pipe maker by hobby and a sea captain (retired) by profession. Sometime after, we met at the same café, and he gave me my pipe restored. I was so pleased. He didn't want any money, just to buy him his coffee. Perhaps, because I insisted so much, he accepted some Euros that would cover at least the material cost. Then, some months later, I had another accident with the Patriot pipe stem (or was the Patriot first, and the Mr Brog second? I am not sure...). Back then, I didn't have extra stems as spare parts for my corn cop pipes. So I called him again and we followed the same procedure and met at the café. He was drinking beer and this time he was rolling cigarettes. He said me he suffered from back pains. We talked, gave him the pipe, and met again about 2 -3 weeks later. He gave me the Patriot and to my surprise, the stem was not black as I expected but amber!... I have to say that in the beginning I didn't like it so much but soon I got used to it and liked it a lot. It has become one of my favorite stems and I rotate it between my cob pipes (those where it fits). At the end of this meeting, his wife and daughter came there, he again didn't want any money, just to buy him his beer... This was the last time I saw him. You see, he decided to depart for another trip, of those that don't have a coming back, through the broad, eternal ocean...
Every time I put the pipes with his stems in my mouth I remember him. I imagine he is standing at the ship's wheelhouse, giving orders to the sailors, studying his maps, smoking his pipe constantly and looking ahead, at the open horizon.
Godspeed my Captain, I was pleased and honored to meet you.
His name was Antonis Salas.

Happy Sunday to all of you good people.

MM_Patriot_J.A. 777.jpg
Anchor.jpg

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Good morning gentlemen. My first smoke of the day will be G.L. Pease Telegraph Hill in my very first pipe, a Calabresi Full Bend Cauldron that my oldest daughter bought for me at the Tinderbox in Middletown, NY on my 40th birthday.
11F1C337-CC81-43F4-B580-DF8097BEFD06.jpeg
Many a good and desirable pipe has come and gone from my collection, but this one stays. Enjoy your Sunday.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Hello all. I am smoking some more of the John Aylesbury Mixture no 777 in a MM corn cob Patriot. The stem is changed and there is a small story behind this change, which with your permission (that -as before- I take it by myself) I will tell you.
Some years before, in my fist steps in pipe smoking, I had an accident with one of my first pipes, a Mr Brog, the stem was damaged (tenon was broken). Afterwards I faced the same issue with a couple of other Mr Brog pipes, perhaps this is a weak point, I don't know.
Anyway, I asked in my pipe club's Internet Forum (pipeclub.gr) for advice or help. And indeed, an old member, responded and said me he could repair my pipe. We arranged a meeting at a café that was very close to my job and where, by coincidence, he was a frequent customer. I went there and I met a man elder than I expected, a noble figure, grey/white hair and goatee, aristocratic manners, a gentleman/pipe smoker "of previous times" I could say... We drank coffee, smoked our pipes and talked. He explained to me that he was a pipe maker by hobby and a sea captain (retired) by profession. Sometime after, we met at the same café, and he gave me my pipe restored. I was so pleased. He didn't want any money, just to buy him his coffee. Perhaps, because I insisted so much, he accepted some Euros that would cover at least the material cost. Then, some months later, I had another accident with the Patriot pipe stem (or was the Patriot first, and the Mr Brog second? I am not sure...). Back then, I didn't have extra stems as spare parts for my corn cop pipes. So I called him again and we followed the same procedure and met at the café. He was drinking beer and this time he was rolling cigarettes. He said me he suffered from back pains. We talked, gave him the pipe, and met again about 2 -3 weeks later. He gave me the Patriot and to my surprise, the stem was not black as I expected but amber!... I have to say that in the beginning I didn't like it so much but soon I got used to it and liked it a lot. It has become one of my favorite stems and I rotate it between my cob pipes (those where it fits). At the end of this meeting, his wife and daughter came there, he again didn't want any money, just to buy him his beer... This was the last time I saw him. You see, he decided to depart for another trip, of those that don't have a coming back, through the broad, eternal ocean...
Every time I put the pipes with his stems in my mouth I remember him. I imagine he is standing at the ship's wheelhouse, giving orders to the sailors, studying his maps, smoking his pipe constantly and looking ahead, at the open horizon.
Godspeed my Captain, I was pleased and honored to meet you.
His name was Antonis Salas.

Happy Sunday to all of you good people.

View attachment 69470
View attachment 69471
Beautiful story. Rest in peace, Antonis Salas.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019

Gawith Hoggarth & Co.: Coniston Cut Plug in the FrankenMeer (it can't be KILLED!)...
Csjxvu8.jpg

Are my eyes deceiving me or has that bowl been spliced together? FrankenMeer indeed! Does it have the brains of a madman?

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Good day, gents. Kendal Shag #7 in a F&T 'Bruyere', my only F&T that's not a 'reject'. Whilst the canted stacks/clay pipe shape were made by Hardcastles this one was made by Comoy's, shape #550.
View attachment 69483
I love my “Clay Shape Pipe” and want to add more to my collection, but they are harder than hens teeth to find and a non-REJECT, nearly impossible (for me anyways). A beautiful example, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.