Lifer
Sep 7, 2019
2021 HH Burley Flake in a Pete Spigot 999

52890615456_67c105b476_o.jpg

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
It took a fair bit of conviction to finish that bowl of War Horse Bar I was smoking earlier, since the chemically mothball taste got pretty overwhelming by the halfway point, but finish it I did and now that I have I don't think I want to smoke War Horse Bar ever again!

With that out of the way though it's on to the next blend on my "to try" list, Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Dark. I'm sampling it in a Dr. Grabow Lark.

View attachment 320459

I had never smoked a shag cut tobacco in a pipe before, but I really like how easy Kendal Dark is to pack, light, and keep lit outdoors on a blustery day. I can definitely see how this could be a favorite of fishermen. Being shag cut the tobacco does burn quite quickly, but stays cool and exceptionally smooth with no sinus irritation on the retrohale. In a little pipe like this Dr. Grabow Lark you'll only get a 15 or 20 minute smoke from it, but with how impressively strong Kendal Dark is in the Vitamin N department I think 15 or 20 minutes is about all I'd want.

The dark fired Virginia flavor is pleasant, but a little dirty tasting (as in, it tastes like there's a little dirt mixed in with the Virginias) and less woody or barbeque smokey than something like Old Dark Fired. I really like the mechanics and strength of this blend, but the flavor doesn't seem to be quite what I'm looking for. I'll have to give Dark Bird's Eye a go instead the next time I place a tobacco order, since it seems to be a similar blend with a somewhat different flavor.
I've never had War Horse Bar, but Dark Bird's Eye is awesome if you enjoy DFK.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
This morning Sutliffe 507-C in the Vauen Olaf bent egg. This afternoon the same in the Pete Pub. An interesting day today, a new neighbor, who allegedly hails from a large southeastern Asian country, wanted to clear some brush and wet grass, (the back half of his backyard) and decided to introduce the neighborhood to the technique of 'slash and burn' without the slash ... after several downwind neighbors were smoked out of their homes ... the 'not pleased' local volunteer fire department loudly and politely explained that we don't do that here in suburbia. It used to be such a quiet neighborhood !! 🤷‍♂️:ROFLMAO:
P.S. Not a sweet hay flavor ... more robust English blend !

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of the way through this bowl of Per G. Jensen Blender’s Collection Virginia in a 2002 smooth natural straight silver banded Ardor Venere Extra Fatta A Mano Maigret billiard, signed by Dorelio Rovera with a tapered black acrylic stem. Reviewing and watch the Braves-Pirates game.
Ardor Venere Extra Maigret billiard .jpg