PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PrivatePiping

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2023
Todd - Boise, ID
It took a fair bit of conviction to finish that bowl of War Horse Bar I was smoking earlier, since the chemically mothball taste got pretty overwhelming by the halfway point, but finish it I did and now that I have I don't think I want to smoke War Horse Bar ever again!

With that out of the way though it's on to the next blend on my "to try" list, Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Dark. I'm sampling it in a Dr. Grabow Lark.

View attachment 320459

I had never smoked a shag cut tobacco in a pipe before, but I really like how easy Kendal Dark is to pack, light, and keep lit outdoors on a blustery day. I can definitely see how this could be a favorite of fishermen. Being shag cut the tobacco does burn quite quickly, but stays cool and exceptionally smooth with no sinus irritation on the retrohale. In a little pipe like this Dr. Grabow Lark you'll only get a 15 or 20 minute smoke from it, but with how impressively strong Kendal Dark is in the Vitamin N department I think 15 or 20 minutes is about all I'd want.

The dark fired Virginia flavor is pleasant, but a little dirty tasting (as in, it tastes like there's a little dirt mixed in with the Virginias) and less woody or barbeque smokey than something like Old Dark Fired. I really like the mechanics and strength of this blend, but the flavor doesn't seem to be quite what I'm looking for. I'll have to give Dark Bird's Eye a go instead the next time I place a tobacco order, since it seems to be a similar blend with a somewhat different flavor.
I think you should start writing tobacco reviews. You have very entertaining and colorful descriptions of what you smoke. I'd be following them!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Starting off my smoking day with a bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching Mad Dog Russo.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg