PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Clenching the Morgan Bones Milan and smoking some War Horse Bar for the first time while I work on jarring up a bunch of tobacco that arrived in the mail today.

IMG20240628055831~2.jpg

First off, flavor wise this is the weirdest dang thing I've ever smoked. My first thought upon tasting it was, "Is this safe for human consumption?" and all my experience smoking nearly a hundred different blends at this point is utterly failing me trying to describe what this tastes like. The tin note reminded me a lot of an apple flavored shisha I used to smoke way back when, but the flavor when smoked is just bizarre. Kinda mothball'y, sorta fruity, a little floral, slightly sweet, with a dark strong underlying tobacco flavor. I do not recommend retrohaling this, your sinuses will not be pleased.

Nicotine wise it's definitely the strongest thing I've ever smoked and required a bit of adjustment to my smoking style, but it is quite satisfying. I've just been smoking it for 5 or 10 minutes while I work, setting the pipe down for 15 or 20 minutes, then picking it up and smoking again for another 5 or 10 minutes before setting it back down. Treat it like a cigarette in terms of smoking duration and you'll be fine, but I could definitely see someone getting green around the gills if they sat down and tried smoking this for an hour straight.

Anyway, War Horse Bar is 'effing weird but I think I kinda like it. Maybe? 😅

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
I've been working through some samples of the various Captain Black blends as I somehow missed them during my smoking. While Dark, Royal & Copper all provided very pleasant smokes, the Cherry I tried last night did not. The rest of the sample along with the cob ended up in the bin. It had a very chemical-like taste and the room note was similarly remarked upon negatively. I'm going to switch genres and repair my palate with some Ashton Celebrated Sovereign.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
It took a fair bit of conviction to finish that bowl of War Horse Bar I was smoking earlier, since the chemically mothball taste got pretty overwhelming by the halfway point, but finish it I did and now that I have I don't think I want to smoke War Horse Bar ever again!

With that out of the way though it's on to the next blend on my "to try" list, Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Dark. I'm sampling it in a Dr. Grabow Lark.

IMG20240529081741~2.jpg

I had never smoked a shag cut tobacco in a pipe before, but I really like how easy Kendal Dark is to pack, light, and keep lit outdoors on a blustery day. I can definitely see how this could be a favorite of fishermen. Being shag cut the tobacco does burn quite quickly, but stays cool and exceptionally smooth with no sinus irritation on the retrohale. In a little pipe like this Dr. Grabow Lark you'll only get a 15 or 20 minute smoke from it, but with how impressively strong Kendal Dark is in the Vitamin N department I think 15 or 20 minutes is about all I'd want.

The dark fired Virginia flavor is pleasant, but a little dirty tasting (as in, it tastes like there's a little dirt mixed in with the Virginias) and less woody or barbeque smokey than something like Old Dark Fired. I really like the mechanics and strength of this blend, but the flavor doesn't seem to be quite what I'm looking for. I'll have to give Dark Bird's Eye a go instead the next time I place a tobacco order, since it seems to be a similar blend with a somewhat different flavor.

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
It took a fair bit of conviction to finish that bowl of War Horse Bar I was smoking earlier, since the chemically mothball taste got pretty overwhelming by the halfway point, but finish it I did and now that I have I don't think I want to smoke War Horse Bar ever again!

With that out of the way though it's on to the next blend on my "to try" list, Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Dark. I'm sampling it in a Dr. Grabow Lark.

View attachment 320459

I had never smoked a shag cut tobacco in a pipe before, but I really like how easy Kendal Dark is to pack, light, and keep lit outdoors on a blustery day. I can definitely see how this could be a favorite of fishermen. Being shag cut the tobacco does burn quite quickly, but stays cool and exceptionally smooth with no sinus irritation on the retrohale. In a little pipe like this Dr. Grabow Lark you'll only get a 15 or 20 minute smoke from it, but with how impressively strong Kendal Dark is in the Vitamin N department I think 15 or 20 minutes is about all I'd want.

The dark fired Virginia flavor is pleasant, but a little dirty tasting (as in, it tastes like there's a little dirt mixed in with the Virginias) and less woody or barbeque smokey than something like Old Dark Fired. I really like the mechanics and strength of this blend, but the flavor doesn't seem to be quite what I'm looking for. I'll have to give Dark Bird's Eye a go instead the next time I place a tobacco order, since it seems to be a similar blend with a somewhat different flavor.
Now that you muscled your way through that mothball tobacco, would you consider yourself to be a “War Horse”? 😂

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
This morning’s smoke is one of my favorites: Newminster 400 SNF, which like RookieGuy80 said pairs perfectly with the day’s first cup of coffee. It’s packed into a very early year Ehrlich Deluxe Canadian cir. 1960’s (the larger of my two Ehrlich Canadians), with the PARA stamped vulcanite stem.

I just absolutely love the grain on both of my Ehrlich Canadians… the beautiful mixture of definitive birdseye and flame grain never ceases to catch my eyes as I smoke them. Should be good for at least an hour and a half smoke! Sláinte fellas!
IMG_0250.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpeg
    IMG_0249.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.