PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and am smoking Watch City English Ernie-ental in a straight dark brown and tan rusticated Peterson 2023 Saint Patrick’s Day 264 Canadian with an Irish flag colored ferrule and tapered black acrylic stem. Working and listening to Crime Classics from my radio collection.
Peterson_St. Patrick's_Canadian264.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking Wilke Back Bay w/o perique in a straight smooth brown undated pre-Republic Peterson Dublin Sterling Canadian 264 with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem. When I went outside to see if any of the ferals needed food, Harry the Hairy, father of two of the kittens we had, came to the door. Sam the Scamp was standing on the top of my chair, and growled at Harry when she saw him. Guess she doesn't like dead beat dads.
Peterson_PR_Canadian_Sterling264 .jpg

Silverwing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2024
Bowling Green, KY
Hal ‘O the Wynd in this new system 313 with a p-lip. It’s very light and good little smoker, clenches really well. I can see I’m gonna smoke the hell out of this pipe. The stain seems a little lighter than the System Standards from the past several years. I don’t know when it was made aside from knowing it is neither very old, nor very new. image.jpg

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
SPC Potlatch in a Kiko 134 pot with a meerschaum lined bowl.
To me, a leather wrapped pipe just looks so .... "cool" .... and elegant. Not all had a meerschaum lined bowl, but with both the meerschaum lining plus the leather, that pipe is great.
NOTE: I know that there's controversy regarding affection for leather wrapping.

1718946853358.png

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a little low calorie snacking, and am smoking Wilke Surbrug’s Golden Sceptre in a late 40s, early 50s straight black sandblasted Wagner British Thorn 495 (Comoy’s second) pot with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
 Wagner_pot.jpg

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Most of the sandblasted or rusticated pipes made all through history were made from ugly briar. :)
Makes sense -- why would a manufacturer or a carver take a stunning straight grain or an awesome birds eye and then sandblast or rusticate it, hiding its natural beauty. The exception is a sandblast or a rusticated with beautiful, amazing ring grain.
I've also heard .... underscoring your comment .... that "ugly" briar was chosen for leather wrapped pipes, with the same logic.

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Well, since I'm on a bit of a roll --- --- --- so, last weekend I packed a pipe with kind of an "odds & ends" mixture. The jar was about 12 years old, several Virginias, some Burley, some Perique. I purposely packed it really full, hence a pretty tight pack. So tonight, trying to get this lit, I just could NOT keep it going. Kept using a pick to try to loosen stuff up, stabbing down the center, carefully stabbing down the sides. But NOPE .... finally admitted defeat & completely dumped the bowl into a dish using the pick to get it all out. Then, I carefully packed the pipe again & all was well. However, I haven't had to do this for quite a few years.
I felt like .... well .... that awesome pic posted some time back by either Cosmic or Sable.
If an explanation is needed, perhaps this comment might result in a reposting of that pic.
NOTE: The pic was totally awesome (!!!). : ) : ) : ) :ROFLMAO: