PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake in a Peter Matzhold “D” tomato.

1713299108836.png

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
That type of "ugly" briar .... to me .... has its own beauty, functional simplicity, its own regal bearing.
I've got couple of these simple "ugly" briars, notably a wonderful Lorenzo Oom Paul.
I'm not sure that lacking straight grain or birds eye they smoke worse. Years back, an employee of the old Edward's Pipe & Tobacco offered the opinion that straight grain directs the heat upwards, enhancing the burn & the smoke. He also offered that birds eye directs the heat sideways, leading to a cooler smoke.
I've never had such refined abilities to notice.
Ive got a bunch of older pipes with "bald" grain. Many are from makers people still love and search for....Dr Grabow, Medico, Kaywoodie, Yorkshire.....
I have never noticed a difference in smoking quality or heat.
Most of the sandblasted or rusticated pipes made all through history were made from ugly briar. :)

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
Father Dempsey in the little meer. Another day, more adventures. This particular day of adventures finds me turning 44 years young. Which honestly is refreshing because the first 4-5 months of this year I believed that I was going to be 45. 🤣View attachment 318657
Happy birthday my man! May the Lord bless you and keep you!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of the way through this bowl of Sutliff Maple Shadows in a 1975 medium bend sandblasted looking, smooth on the sides yellow Pioneer meer billiard with a black ferrule and vulcanite stem in the military mount style. This is the fourth pipe that I bought. Paid $5.95 for it.
Pioneer meer billiard .jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.