PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Aye you would be fine mate, if your a redcoat you’re a part o the British Army ??Before then us Reivers fought anyone either south of the Border or neighbouring families? My bloodline was here before the Scots came over from Ireland. Pict ?
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

I have a history of the Boarder Reivers by George McDonald Frasier, author of the “Flashman” books. I’ll have to dig it out of storage if I can remember where it is. If anyone here has yet to read a Flashman book I thoroughly recommend it, especially if you like Victorian military history. Not however if you’re sensitive to current PC values, you’ll end up in an apoplectic fit. He gives no quarter in his books and they’re historically accurate, right down to the attitudes of the day. You have been warned....

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
I have a history of the Boarder Reivers by George McDonald Frasier, author of the “Flashman” books. I’ll have to dig it out of storage if I can remember where it is. If anyone here has yet to read a Flashman book I thoroughly recommend it, especially if you like Victorian military history. Not however if you’re sensitive to current PC values, you’ll end up in an apoplectic fit. He gives no quarter in his books and they’re historically accurate, right down to the attitudes of the day. You have been warned....
He was an excellent author, his work in the Border Reivers “The Steel Bonnets” is still a must read for those interested in that area of history. Aye the Flashman novels are a hoot, excellent British humour ??? He also wrote of his experiences fighting in Burma during WW2. If memory serves me correctly it was called “Safe out there” another excellent read.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
He was an excellent author, his work in the Border Reivers “The Steel Bonnets” is still a must read for those interested in that area of history. Aye the Flashman novels are a hoot, excellent British humour ??? He also wrote of his experiences fighting in Burma during WW2. If memory serves me correctly it was called “Safe out there” another excellent read.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
Somehow I knew you’d be a fan of the great G McDF, I was terribly sad when he died, Flashman mentioned being at Appomattox and Shiloh several times and I was really looking forward to hearing about his exploits and GMD’s interpretation of the conflict. I thought I had all his books but Safe Out There is one I’ll have to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.