PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I finished the bowl of sutliff Sweet Virginia in the Peterson Pub pipe. Its much better in a system pipe than non-system pipe IMHO. Taste wise I believe it has some red virginia which I am not fond of and thats what gives it some bite. Overall, it seems to taste like someone mixed 25% Match Sunrise and 75% 507-C. Since I bought a pound of it to try I will have to get used to it. Its pretty good when slow sipped but its still burns very hot even then. Just 2 cents adjusted for inflation and malaise. ;)
I am adding an addendum to my post of earlier today. I had a second bowl of Sutliff Sweet Virginia #707 in the Peterson Pub pipe and am getting used to it. My opinion now is that if you took Sutliff Match Sunrise and Newminster 400 and mixed them together you would get this Sweet Virginia 707. I read the reviews on TR.com but I am not tasting individual Hay, Honey, Grass, Citrus ... but I do get the taste of NM400 and Match Sunrise alternating. The second bowl burned slower with less acidity. I don't have a trained palate like many here yet. Its pretty good for a regular smoke but my preference is Lane 1-Q and Sutliff 507-C and CS PSBlend. I'll get there in time ! :) The pub pipe helps.

gord

Can't Leave
Today, 3:00 pm Pacific time. Falcon pipe, standard straight. Still breaking it in (4th smoke), so taste not great but okay. Dislike breaking in pipes. Tobacco; my own simple English, 7 parts SWR plain tobacco, 1 Part C&D Latakia. Chose Sir Walter because of all of the codger blends I tried, I liked it the best. Snapshot taken against the siding of my house, daylight.

IMGP5064optumfr.JPG

This is going to be a great daytrip pipe! Or, frankly, anytime pipe.

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter off the way through this bowl of year 2020 MacBaren Navy Flake in a 2004 Stanwell EM 2004 black sandblasted straight billiard in a gold accent ring on the shank and gold “s” on the black tapered acrylic stem. Haven't smoked this pipe in a long time. It was a gift from my late friend Art Arterburn who is still missed by us.

Our power went out about two minutes after my last post, and came back on five minutes ago. Hope we have no more of that so I can watch the Braves-Mets game without interruption. Dinner's going to run late, too.
Stanwell EM 2004 black sandblasted straight billiard.jpg

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
A quarter off the way through this bowl of year 2020 MacBaren Navy Flake in a 2004 Stanwell EM 2004 black sandblasted straight billiard in a gold accent ring on the shank and gold “s” on the black tapered acrylic stem. Haven't smoked this pipe in a long time. It was a gift from my late friend Art Arterburn who is still missed by us.

Our power went out about two minutes after my last post, and came back on five minutes ago. Hope we have no more of that so I can watch the Braves-Mets game without interruption. Dinner's going to run late, too.
View attachment 326505
Love is for the pipe not the power.
Good luck on the game.

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Start of the East Flake in a Yiannos Kokkinos pipe. Bought the pipe from Yiannos at the Chicago pipe show this year.

Inaugural smoke in the pipe I am dedicating to my first granddaughter who was born today! Baby and Mom doing well.

Photo is my mother giving a present to my great grandfather on his 90th birthday. He was an avid pipe smoker and I am his namesake.

View attachment 326478
Great news!
Nice pipe

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful two giant French cut pork chops, sweet corn, and a big baked potato with a few freshly made oatmeal raisin cookies, and a bowl of French vanilla ice cream for dessert. Skipped my usual salad, but will probably have one later since I'm not full. :) I'm passing the first third of this bowl of year 2014 Sam Gawith Best Brown Flake in a straight smooth brown 1933-1945 Comoy’s patent Grand Slam 159 *4 apple with a tapered black vulcanite stem. No coffee tonight due to the humidity. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Sleepy Suzy is by my side as I watch the ball game. Molly Danger is snoozin' in the bed room.
Comoy's_Grand Slam_159apple.jpg

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
On a Daddy-Daughter road trip across eastern Canada. Presently in northern Quebec relaxing after a long day of hiking and off-road exploring. Saw fresh bear, moose and lynx prints all in the same area. Enjoying some 2014 Dunhill Navy Rolls in my smooth Nording spigot travel pipe dedicated to Virginia blends. Tomorrow a ghost town and then camping for a couple days.

IMG_7886.jpegIMG_7863.jpegIMG_7870.jpegIMG_7868.jpeg

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
The hippies (no offense) are arriving to my campground, for the 3 day Phish concert at Alpine Valley. May be an obnoxious weekend. The wardens have the grounds locked down, on the hunt for squatters.

Preparing myself with Ojk Blue in the Briarworks.
View attachment 326500
Stay away from the brown acid. I hear it’s really strong. :ROFLMAO: