Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, cod and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm half way through this bowl of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Watching the Braves-Padres game.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Had SWRA in a MM Dagner Poker on a walk down to the local creek this afternoon w/wifey and mustang. Surprised to see it flowing so robustly at this part of the year, and sporting some willow shoots and green grass that was so tall it almost concealed the horse at one point. The creation provideth...in spades! 8.3/10

Bird report: California scrub-jay, California towhee, House finch, Steller's jay, Band-tailed pigeon, California quail, Spotted towhee, Red-tailed hawk, Common raven, and Western bluebird.

Humid as hell today, but we've gotten some off-season rain, with hopefully more on the way. Hope everyone has a good week ahead!

Mb001

Lurker
Jan 21, 2020
Well... I just finished the last of my aged Peretti 'Cambridge flake" (4 years from purchase)...it's excellent anytime. But, I prefer some age. I also just finished my last tin of Mclelland ever...(Oriental no#14 from '03)...

I was looking to fill that after-dinner bass note before bed smoke slot. My first thought was maybe some "Plum Pudding" I have some older tins that should probably get cracked, And So To Bed.... Nightcap. I couldn't make up my mind. I finally decided on "Quiet Nights" I had a tin from 2020. I cracked it and fell in love with this blend all over again. sooo good! Bass notes, High bright notes. the perfect "last Smoke"

To keep some on hand in the future I re-ordered some. Lo and behold I got a can from 2022. Well, I was enjoying the older can so much that I decided to open the newer can and smoke it to see if there were any discernable differences. There were some Subtle differences,

1) Moisture content- the older can was wetter when opened
2) the brights (virginas) on the newer can were more citrus', grassy,

That low bass note was still there on the newer tin, but the brightness of the Virginia was competing with the Latakia and Perique.

In the older tin; all of the flavors were in harmony, coaxing each other into greatness.

In the week that I was doing this minin experiment I smoked 60% of the newer tin and 40% of the older tin. Not necessarily because I preferred the younger tin(in fact I preferred the older tin). I was trying to discern its contours and edges.

in the end i mixed the two together in a 1 gallon ziplock with a 72% Boveda, Going to let them mix it up and revisit in a bit.

I opened a tin of Plum Pudding while I wait.

But, I'm smoking a bowl of the 60%(2020)-40(2022) Quiet Nights... and thoroughly enjoying it as I write this.
M

Does anyone else find that they smoke more of the blends that they don't go mad over instantly. Differnt pipes, packing methods, smoking cadences trying to understand the tobbac?

Status
Not open for further replies.