PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
A few after dinner puffs of some Sutliffe navy flake 507-C in the Vauen olaf bent egg with 9mm filter in the lawnchair in the backyard when a screech owl flew under the tree canopy from the maple in front of me to the maple on the hillside at about head height ... if i hadn't seen it I wouldn't have known it was there as they are completely silent flyers. When I went back inside it flew under the canopy to the oak behind the garage... clearly hunting mice. I hear them trilling at night but rarely get to see them in action as they are so well camouflaged in the trees.
Not mine but it looked like this (That wingspan was about 12-16 inches across guestimate) :
1721612149447.png
The Vauen:
1721612256664.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Half way through this bowl of year 2018 Sutliff Dunhill Elizabethan Match in a 1980 smooth walnut finish quarter bend Peterson 505 Rhodesian silver spigot military mount with a black vulcanite saddle stem fishtail bit. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Peterson_505_Rhodesian_SSpigot.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty red delicious apple, and am near the first third of this bowl of year 2013 Esoterica Tilbury in a smooth medium bend 1999 Peterson Sherlock Holmes Series Milverton with a sterling silver band and a black vulcanite p-lip stem. Brought Daisy the Feral Princess and Tomato the Brave in to eat. They were happy to get off the deck as it's been raining for hours, but I'll eventually have to put them out. Wish I could let Harry the Hairy in. Abner the Eager is snoozin' in what has become his comfort bed.
Peterson Sherlock Holmes_Milverton.jpg

Last edited:

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Falcon fitted with a rusticated apple bowl stuffed with 2023 Cringle Flake.
Oh my, this stuff is good!
I have several, tins of this in my cellar already but recently got another for $5 bucks in a sale and decided to pop this one open and give it a try.
I was worried at first that this was too dry and ended up crumbling it up rather than rub it out. But it packed and lit just fine, and it burned perfectly all the way down to a fine ash leaving no dottle.
Sweet and earthy with a definite floral top note, probably from the Katerini and a pleasant spiciness of the Perique. The Red Virginias in this brought Capstan Blue a bit to my mind.
This bowl lasted long enough to bring a bit of nicotine to bear but not unpleasantly so.
I'm going to stick with this one awhile and put it through its paces.