PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
John Cotton Kentucky in an Abe Herbaugh. I love this pipe, my only complaint would be that the asymmetry of the rim seems to make it easier to scorch. I just have to be mindful is all. Maybe beveling would help with this? Dunno.
View attachment 233489

I wouldn’t recommend beveling and modifying the pipe. I would recommend a couple of changes to lighting:

1) Pack the tobacco an 1/8" to 1/4" below the rim (draw the flame to the tobacco).

2) Level the rim of the pipe when lighting it.

Level not bevel!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I wouldn’t recommend beveling and modifying the pipe. I would recommend a couple of changes to lighting:

1) Pack the tobacco an 1/8" to 1/4" below the rim (draw the flame to the tobacco).

Level not bevel!
Often I will wet my fingertip and wipe it on the rim before lighting.
When I started doing that I began noticing a definite decrease in rim discoloration.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Often I will wet my fingertip and wipe it on the rim before lighting.
When I started doing that I began noticing a definite decrease in rim discoloration.

I avoid wetting the rims of my pipes with saliva these days—I tried it awhile back on someone’s recommendation to avoid rim charring—unfortunately, new Savinelli organic stains don’t fare well with saliva at all.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina

Level not bevel!
No, I won’t modify it. My comment was more a “what if on the original design”. The flame of the lighter winds up hitting that spot no matter how carefully I pack. I just have to be careful with the lighter which is hard when I’m 99 percent outdoor smoker.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
No, I won’t modify it. My comment was more a “what if on the original design”. The flame of the lighter winds up hitting that spot no matter how carefully I pack. I just have to be careful with the lighter which is hard when I’m 99 percent outdoor smoker.
I do think it’s a little funny and tragic that we are constantly applying flame to wood and then get disappointed when the wood burns. 😂 Minimizing damage is all I can hope for as a fairly heavy smoker.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I do think it’s a little funny and tragic that we are constantly applying flame to wood and then get disappointed when the wood burns. 😂 Minimizing damage is all I can hope for as a fairly heavy smoker.

Yes and no—it’s not just wood—it’s often beautiful wood and there’s nothing wrong with wanting to preserve that. Pipes are unusual in that they’re functional art.

Status
Not open for further replies.