PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
@Chasing Embers Get well soon!
Been smoking GH brown twist in an Old Dominion Jamestown clay pipe at the Battle of Nantwich re-enactment today. No smoking on the battlefield!
Do you think the Clay King should get a giant clay pipe?
I'd like to find out how much they hold and how long it takes to smoke. I'd need to weigh the pipe before and after filling to find out the weight of the baccy, just like I do at the refill stall at the market when I get my toiletries and cleaning products.
I remember you saying "Now that's in my pipe size area":)
A King Size Clay for the Clay King!
Maybe this giant clay pipe will meet your needs and price point. With a 2.33 inch (59.18mm) depth and .99 in (25.15mm) diameter, I'm guessing @Chasing Embers can assist with how much tobacco the chamber can hold.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
2015 Gallaher Condor Plug in a Penn Valley Gouda Clay. The Virginia in this is nice and sweet with 8 years of age.

View attachment 196157
@craig61a Nice pipe and good tobacco choice; I think Virginias smoke well in my clay pipes.
I've smoked several packets of (Polish) Condor Ready Rubbed (green packet) in my clays; I think "Condor moment" is a good caption for a photo of a re-enactor smoking a clay pipe:)

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Maybe this giant clay pipe will meet your needs and price point. With a 2.33 inch (59.18mm) depth and .99 in (25.15mm) diameter, I'm guessing @Chasing Embers can assist with how much tobacco the chamber can hold.

@The Amish Tyrant Looks good 👍! Definitely a King Size Clay for the Clay King! I introduced myself as the Clay King at the Sealed Knot Battle of Nantwich today. My Old Dominion Jamestown clay pipe is perfect for the English Civil War period & good to smoke a period Gawith brown twist in it; as a strong baccy I think it suits a small clay bowl perfectly.
I wouldn't smoke strong baccy in a giant clay pipe though:)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm going to do something I have wanted to do ever since I got the 4AB set: take an evening and watch Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies as I smoke 4ABs. The first one will be one of my favorites: The Spider Woman. Now smoking Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Never really got that technical but my smaller pipes generally get around 10 fills out of a 50g tin.
@Chasing Embers I get my toiletries and cleaning products from a refills stall at my local market; they weigh the empty container and then weigh it again after it's been filled. I'd suggest doing the same with the giant clay pipe to find out how much it would hold. Ever since I saw one in a museum display when I was younger I've been wondering how much they hold and how long they'd take to smoke...
Making a handmade linen shirt, smoking a clay pipe, eating with medieval cutlery & drinking out of a Viking drinking horn are all examples of living history I've incorporated into my lifestyle. Definitely doing my bit to keep history & traditions alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.