PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Newminster 400 Superior Navy Flake in a Charatan 481 DC ‘Gilpin’.

This one is a Dunhill ‘X’ out. Supposedly Dunhill discounted out the remaining inventory of Charatan after they bought the company, and obliterated the “Charatan’s Make” markings. An opportunity to get a fine Charatan pipe at heavily discounted price.

Another fun fact: This shape was developed by Charatan sander Joan Nicholson. Kenneth Barnes & Dennis Marshall liked the shape and asked her to give a name to it. While “Kipling” was the intended name, she couldn’t remember it, and uttered the name “Gilpin”, and the name stuck. It was given a spot in the catalog in the mid 1970’s.

3ECFB18E-581F-4FDF-9B54-F8F8B00FDF1C.jpeg

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Hey buddy, do you mind sharing your plan on staying calm??
Liverpool has been pissing it down their leg all season long, and my method of calming nerves ends up resulting in a long mid-day nap 😁.

Cheers!
So, another very effective method to remain calm, which I implemented this afternoon, is to just load up a huge bowl of 1792 Flake at halftime and spend the entire 2nd half away from the television. Can't imagine a Valium would have worked any better. ;)

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Maybe this giant clay pipe will meet your needs and price point. With a 2.33 inch (59.18mm) depth and .99 in (25.15mm) diameter, I'm guessing @Chasing Embers can assist with how much tobacco the chamber can hold.

@The Amish Tyrant Definitely a King Size clay for the Clay King!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Haha, I had to read that twice - currently researching Shepherd's Pie recipes so I can make some for St. Patrick's Day.
I learned about shepherd's pie after moving from home, which is odd since it would've been in my family's wheelhouse. When the stars align with ground beef being on sale (or when I have extra beef gravy on hand), I make a quick shepherd's pie (technically cottage pie since I don't use lamb).

Brown seasoned ground beef and place in a greased baking dish. Microwave or saute mixed frozen vegetables until thawed but not fully cooked. Mix meat and vegetables. Add beef gravy (Lipton onion soup mix makes a legit gravy). Season to taste and mix. Spread the top with (gasp) instant mashed potatoes that have been cooked and seasoned as though the potatoes were frosting. Sprinkle with paprika and bake until.golden brown at 375 (about 20 minutes).

This is great for a busy week night. More comprehensive "scratch" recipes are here:

Status
Not open for further replies.