PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Pipe club meeting today. DTM St. Bernard Flake in a 2013 Genod Noel Author, then 2017 Butera Dark Stoved in a Chris Morgan Bones Liverpool, then Germain Special Latakia Flake in a Claudio Cavicchi Dublin, then Boswell’s Raspberry Cream in an MM Morgan Natural Cob, then Bob’s Chocolate Flake in a Castello Sea Rock 65 with silver wind cap.

All with a little Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout and some Bowmore 25 year.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, filet mignon and sugar snap green peas dinner, and am part way through this bowl of HU Directors Cut in a smooth straight Lane era Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort stem. This pipe was formerly owned by actor William Conrad. Watching an episode of Cannon starring Mr. Conrad.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
How does the cognac mixture compare with Pembroke?
I still want to do a few more side by side comparisons, but off top:
The topping is identical, but stronger in Cognac Mixture. In Pembroke, the latakia and orientals are more present and easier to discern. I can easily pick out some Basma and maybe Yenidje... lots of incense-y balkan flavor with the cognac topping in balance. Cognac Mixture seems to have more Jersey Cavendish and, consequentially, less orientals and lat. Even though my tin is dated 4/18 it seems like it has much more age on it. The black Virginias are covered in the sugarstuff and all the flavors are more melded. It tastes equally of sweet VAs, orientals, lat, and Cognac topping is up front from start to finish where Pembroke's focus continually shifts from one taste to another with the topping in the background. Really very similar. Barely a noticeable difference unless you really concentrate. I'd take either one without complaint and I'll be buying whichever is cheapest and most available to cellar as I could see either being in regular rotation.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I still want to do a few more side by side comparisons, but off top:
The topping is identical, but stronger in Cognac Mixture. In Pembroke, the latakia and orientals are more present and easier to discern. I can easily pick out some Basma and maybe Yenidje... lots of incense-y balkan flavor with the cognac topping in balance. Cognac Mixture seems to have more Jersey Cavendish and, consequentially, less orientals and lat. Even though my tin is dated 4/18 it seems like it has much more age on it. The black Virginias are covered in the sugarstuff and all the flavors are more melded. It tastes equally of sweet VAs, orientals, lat, and Cognac topping is up front from start to finish where Pembroke's focus continually shifts from one taste to another with the topping in the background. Really very similar. Barely a noticeable difference unless you really concentrate. I'd take either one without complaint and I'll be buying whichever is cheapest and most available to cellar as I could see either being in regular rotation.
Awesome thanks! Pembroke shows up pretty often and will likely be cheaper than the arm and a ball SH chargers for their tins.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Gawith Hoggarth & Co.: Grasmere Flake in a Meer...
NzheXvP.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.