PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I recently received an order of Newminster400 and Sutliffe 507-C - both virginia navy flake. Tonight I was able to compare them one after the other in the Vauen Olaf bent egg (20mmx46mm chamber). When I have had N400 previously it was light and had a Tea with honey and lemon flavor. This batch is darker and different. I note a distinct vanilla and caramel flavor on occasion. Otherwise it seems like an english blend. No hay, citrus or bread tones. The Sutliffe 507-C is as usual a light sweet virginia with all the bread citrus and hay flavoring. Between these two batches I prefer the 507 as it burns slower and is milder and sweeter. This batch of N400 has a slight bite to it and a bit of a smoky flavor. I wonder if something else got mixed in or if I got the wrong tobacco. It just seems darker than previous batches I have received from Sp.com. I'll continue to smoke it but may try it in other pipes to see if it gets better. Maybe it got left in the flue too long ...

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Sorry, I assumed you knew 1792 and were looking for how the PoDS compared.
1792 is a strong dark flake, I believe flue and fire cured tobaks, which are African grown. Full flavor, strong nic, and cased with secret sauce containing tonquin-a vailla substitute that has a distinct flavor either loved or hated. There’s other Lakeland flavors there more subtly, it not “perfume-y”.
PoDS is a smooth VaBur with some red and dark good tobacco and its tonquin comes across (again, to me) as more of the anise-type flavor in Half and Half.
@Sobrbiker ,
Thanks for the input on 1792. Sounds like a great blend.
@PrivatePiping has a tin we can sample the next time meet to smoke.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I've had my eye on that pipe for a while. How do you like it?
It's my favorite pipe thus far. The look, the feel, the draw...it's got it all. The stem fit is just a shade on the looser side than I'd prefer, but a beeswax treatment after each use is making quick work of this issue. Highly recommend it, especially for a burley smoker like yourself--that stout, wide bowl is big enough to accommodate a (haunted) bookshop! ;)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Was too busy to post since my after-dinner smoke, but I finally got everything taken care of. I'm smoking the last of this tin of Sutliff States of Virginia Limited Edition ’23 in a 2002 black sandblast full bend D.R. Ardor Urano dublin with a slightly tapered far side of the bowl and a black acrylic saddle stem. Haven't smoked this pipe in a while. It's time to clean a few pipes. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Ardor Urano dublin-tapered.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty Snap Dragon apple, and am a quarter of the way through this bowl of Wilke No. 515 in a 1998 smooth straight Butz-Choquin Bistro 1501 pot with a black vulcanite saddle stem. This was the original 515 that Basil Rathbone smoked. Hope to end the day with this smoke.
Butz-Choquin1501_Bistro_Pot.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.