Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Took advantage of a warm-ish day (low 50s) to enjoy some C&D Opening Night (sample) in a Savinelli Porto Cervo 122 rusticated bent pot. Once I get my Irish Harp, it'll handle the straight VAs from here on out, and this wide chambered workhorse will become my dedicated burley/VaBur pipe.

Bird report: Northern flicker, Dark-eyed junco, White-crowned sparrow, Oak titmouse, California towhee, Spotted towhee, California quail, American crow, Steller's jay, California scrub-jay, Hairy woodpecker, Mourning dove, and House finch.

porto cervo.jpg

MB Virginia Flake in an Altinay.
View attachment 291499
I've got a tin each of this and HH Pure VA, and I'm squarely on the fence as to which one to crack and try first. Which would you suggest/recommend?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Took advantage of a warm-ish day (low 50s) to enjoy some C&D Opening Night (sample) in a Savinelli Porto Cervo 122 rusticated bent pot. Once I get my Irish Harp, it'll handle the straight VAs from here on out, and this wide chambered workhorse will become my dedicated burley/VaBur pipe.

Bird report: Northern flicker, Dark-eyed junco, White-crowned sparrow, Oak titmouse, California towhee, Spotted towhee, California quail, American crow, Steller's jay, California scrub-jay, Hairy woodpecker, Mourning dove, and House finch.

View attachment 291515

I've got a tin each of this and HH Pure VA, and I'm squarely on the fence as to which one to crack and try first. Which would you suggest/recommend?
Both are sweet, Virginia Flake the sweetest. I'd say the Pure Virginia is more full bodied. I like both a lot. I'd say smoke Virginia Flake first.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, giant rib-eye steak and baked potato dinner with a bowl of spumoni for dessert. I'm just finishing this bowl of aged Rattrays Hal O’ The Wynd in a straight smooth brown pre-WWII (Comoy’s) Corinthian De-Luxe 126 pot made for Sutliff in San Francisco with a black tapered vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Comoy's_Sutliff_CorinthianDe-Luxe_126 pot .jpg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
@Sobrbiker ,
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I need to go read a tobacco review for 1792 to get a better idea on the flavor. I’ll have to keep on the lookout and snag a tin of 1792 whenever it is available.
I have a nice set of leather tools and enjoy making belts and other small projects. Very enjoyable hobby and provides practical products and solutions that are IMHO more aesthetic or handsome and if properly cared for, as durable as nylon or plastic.
Sorry, I assumed you knew 1792 and were looking for how the PoDS compared.
1792 is a strong dark flake, I believe flue and fire cured tobaks, which are African grown. Full flavor, strong nic, and cased with secret sauce containing tonquin-a vailla substitute that has a distinct flavor either loved or hated. There’s other Lakeland flavors there more subtly, it not “perfume-y”.
PoDS is a smooth VaBur with some red and dark good tobacco and it’s tonquin comes across (again, to me) as more of the anise-type flavor in Half and Half.

PrivatePiping

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2023
Todd - Boise, ID
@Sobrbiker ,
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I need to go read a tobacco review for 1792 to get a better idea on the flavor. I’ll have to keep on the lookout and snag a tin of 1792 whenever it is available.
I have a nice set of leather tools and enjoy making belts and other small projects. Very enjoyable hobby and provides practical products and solutions that are IMHO more aesthetic or handsome and if properly cared for, as durable as nylon or plastic.
I have an unopened tin of 1792. I'll bring it to our next meet up!

Status
Not open for further replies.