PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of the way through this bowl of year 2022 unreleased Sutliff Brown Virginia Flake in a 2014 smooth medium bend Basil Meadows egg with an aluminum band and a tapered "root beer swirl" acrylic stem. This should end my smoking day. Haven't smoked this pipe in a while, but it's an excellent smoker, and a good test pipe.
Basil_RootBeer_Pipe.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
When you do your reviews (thank you for your diligence and hard work), is there a certain amount of bowls you’ll smoke of a blend?
It varies widely. Sometimes, I can get the blend with one or two bowls. Other times, it takes much longer. The more complex a blend is, the more bowls I have to smoke. Toppings are often hard to figure out, especially if there are several there, and that can take a bit of my time.

Here's one example for you. I was smoking Middleton's Walnut, and the Match in an attempt to figure out how close the match was to the original. It was so close, it took 14 bowls of each to find the slight variances. With seven varietals in each one, it was not easy. I often followed up one version with another, and used at least six different pipes, maybe more.

Molto Dulce took one bowl, although I believe I smoked three before I was sure of myself.

Mac Baren Rustica was one of the toughest to figure out because I had no experience with Rustica. So were the two Warhorse bars, Red and Green, for similar reasons.

Thank you for compliment and support.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
A quarter of the way through this bowl of year 2022 unreleased Sutliff Brown Virginia Flake in a 2014 smooth medium bend Basil Meadows egg with an aluminum band and a tapered "root beer swirl" acrylic stem. This should end my smoking day. Haven't smoked this pipe in a while, but it's an excellent smoker, and a good test pipe.
View attachment 199094
Jim,
Are you working on a review for the “unreleased Sutliff BVF”?

Status
Not open for further replies.