PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
I had to double check the email archives to be sure, sometimes get confused. Got into all this because of a pic of this model pipe in Pointing Dog Journal - sort of a centerfold, lol, accompanying an article about all the stuff some guy carries in his vest. Something about it intrigued me, then found out it was almost impossible to find one and magically a US supplier (EA Carey) had one. So, it was the first pipe I ever puchased. While on the hunt for this I was already lurking quietly around here and being a Sherlock Holmes geek of sorts finally decided I needed a Peterson Rathbone which arrived within a few days of this one and I'd found the No. 515 at Wilke and so that was my first bowl. Blah, blah, blah, just reminiscing, lol. Old dog has a little intestinal problem, so luckily I can work from home because we've been out four times in the last 6 hours, napping peacefully now and after bit I'll feel safe leaving him until the wife gets home from work since I need to go in. So . . . Nording Woodcock and the rest of the Wilke Santa's Blend I held back from the jar. This is on my "great smoking pipe" list. Sorry for the long post.View attachment 198941
Beautiful pipe and I particularly like the pipe rest!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just finished smoking Wilke No. 72 in a pre-1974 dark brown straight Larus & Brother Co. Signature billiard with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem with the initials LCR on the top of the stem. This blend was smoked by Walter Cronkite. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Larus and Brother pot.jpg

isaac liu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 30, 2022
China wuhan
To be honest, I don't know.
There is no mark in the box. The metal tenon looks silver. You can wipe out obvious black silver ions with a silver cloth, but there is no mark except carving. I remember that the physics teacher told me that the friction between amber and animal fur can produce static electricity. With the help of my cat (she was not willing), the amber material was confirmed.
In addition, I can't confirm any information. The good news is that the pipe is a good smoker(But it is not the best. I strongly recommend reverse calabash meer. This structure and material combination is excellent), which is currently used to smoke English blends.
wow man nice pipe and that color! a century of daily smoking with Turkish? 🧐

isaac liu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 30, 2022
China wuhan
Are those holes used to install some accessories? Such as windshield or silver ring? Or is it a decoration?
Kicking off the new month with another of my recent estate lot pipes. I would have been happy paying the amount I paid for the entire lot for this one pipe. SV Black Cavendish in a GBD Premier with clear stem. This pipe was in flawless condition and it smokes like a dream. Sits well in hand and is very easy to clench too. It's already a favorite after one smoke.

View attachment 199008

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Are those holes used to install some accessories? Such as windshield or silver ring? Or is it a decoration?
Some pipes had gimmicks like the Doodler. I’ve read that the holes were supposed to help with heat dissipation and provide a cooler smoke. It’s possible that model of GBD was going for a similar thing. I’ve no idea if it makes a difference, but, the Doodler smokes like any other decent pipe.

isaac liu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 30, 2022
China wuhan
Some pipes had gimmicks like the Doodler. I’ve read that the holes were supposed to help with heat dissipation and provide a cooler smoke. It’s possible that model of GBD was going for a similar thing. I’ve no idea if it makes a difference, but, the Doodler smokes like any other decent pipe.
So this is a radiator! but I doubt the effect of this design.
Falcon's metal stem should have better heat dissipation effect.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
While tolerating the 10:00 news and catching Steven Colbert's monologue, I enjoyed a couple of pinches of seven-year-old Sutliff 1849 in my old, well-smoked Markus Fohr straight billiard clay. A dram of Mr. Daniel's Old No. 7 went well with the smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.