PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
7F3890AC-60CA-4CF1-AA39-A9079866C572.jpeg
My Xmas/Hanukkah present to me. Received it today from William of “Estatebriarpipes” in Denmark. I’m smoking Solani red in this patent Stanwell. I really love this shape and I’ve always wanted it. I think it’s an Ivarsson design but I’m not sure. Someone here knows.

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
Yes I've had those that I've had to smoke through before most notably in the Rossi Vittorias'. This though, was unbearable. The taste lingered in the mouth as well. Hopefully, I've removed enough to continue the break-in process unimpeded.
I have been following y'alls conversation on this and have a couple thoughts. I am contemplating, and saving $ for, a Rossi. This has me thinking about that bowl coating. What in the world is it, why do they use it? Does that alcohol treatment work well? I have a couple pipes that had coatings. I had cleaned them with rum prior to the first smoking. And at the time, was pretty new to pipe smoking. So I may not have tasted it. Anyway, any information you might give me would be appreciated.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I have been following y'alls conversation on this and have a couple thoughts. I am contemplating, and saving $ for, a Rossi. This has me thinking about that bowl coating. What in the world is it, why do they use it? Does that alcohol treatment work well? I have a couple pipes that had coatings. I had cleaned them with rum prior to the first smoking. And at the time, was pretty new to pipe smoking. So I may not have tasted it. Anyway, any information you might give me would be appreciated.
Personally I remove bowl coatings prior to smoking a new pipe and that is my personal preference. Most coatings can be removed with Everclear.

Status
Not open for further replies.