romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Earlier in this thread, I see Mac Baren has revived the Walnut blend which has been discontinued for some time. That's of interest. The Hearth and Home Midtown series has a match, Chestnut, but it would be interesting to try the branded blend itself, though it is likely a little different than the original.
The Mac Baren Original Flake was formerly known as Ogden's Walnut Flake:
Tobacco Reviews | Mac Baren - Original Flake

It's different from the old Middleton Walnut and it's Sutliff Match, if that's what you were thinking of.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of the way through my last smoke of the day, which is Prince Albert in a 2020 smooth light brown, slight bent J. Everett straight grain chubby author with a spalted birch ferrule and a black saddle vulcanite stem in the military mount style. Fed two of the ferals, and am reading while this bowl lasts.
J.Everett_Author.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
Three bowls of Sutliff blending tobacco (515 RC-1, TS12, 507-S) in a series of Falcon bolws.

1. 50/50 Kentucky/Red Virginia
2. 50/50 Red Virginia/Stoved Virginia
3. 50/50 Stoved Virginia/Kentucky

Overall the Matured Red Virginia is by far the strongest flavor with a full citrus tang early in the bowl, dropping fullness quickly but staying present to the end.
I don't think Sutliff Kentucky is as full flavored as other sources of Dark Fired Burley, it is consistently earthy and smokey and just a bit savory, and still quickly turns bitter with fast puffing.
The Stoved Virginia didn't seem to contribute to the flavor, but it was dry enough I have to wonder if the flavor would be more pronounced with rehydration.

3BD11CF8-0C29-4F59-A26C-766BA57AE054.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I slept about a hour and a half, but finally, after USPS delayed my Watch City Cigars package, it showed up a few minutes ago. Since these two blends go on sale along with the tinned 25th Anniversary Old Dominion Flake and Christmas 2021 Elf Dandruff at 3 pm EST, I decided to stay awake and review these blends so those interested in buying them will have the reviews at TR to go by before 3. I've already reviewed 25th Anniversary Old Dominion Flake and Christmas 2021 Elf Dandruff at TR for those who want to check them out.

A third of the way through this bowl of Watch City Old North Church in a brown straight smooth circa 2012 Paul Perri billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. I broke my many years long standing procedure of starting every day with a bowl of EGR, but I'll have that later on.
Paul_Perri_billiard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.