PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, rainbow trout and sugar snap peas dinner with several pieces of baklava for dessert. I'm half way through this bowl of Pfeifen Huber Virginia Golden Flake in a straight smooth brown post-WWII Comoy’s Grand Slam billiard 27 Canadian patent 341422 with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Comoy’s_Grand Slam_billiard 27 Can._patent.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Evening Flake in a smooth ebony medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY 4AB No. 422/500 military mount with a silver cap and a vulcanite black tapered AB stem. Cleaning pipes and watching Seven Days Leave starring Lucille Ball, Victor Mature, and Harold Peary as The Great Gildersleeve.
4AB_Ebony.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Loving the holiday season - an opportunity to slip in a couple of bowls when my wife is happy not to insist that I help out around the house. ?

On the front porch with some GLP Caravan - one of a few sample bags from a generous pipe buddy.

Couple of Amber-stemmed nose warmers today.

This 1st is a 1913 Birmingham hallmarked small bent billiard, with broken off button. There are no markings whatsoever on the stummel. The hallmarks are too worn to make out the maker's/silversmith's mark.

I bought this in a really distressed state to use as a restoration project. Apart from the button, it has cleaned up very well. The stem was slight over-clocked (bone screw tenon), easily fixed with some silicon plumbing tape.

With it, a tot of 21 year old El Dorado rum from Guyana.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The next bowl is Ashton Artisan Blend, also a bagged sample from the same friend.

In a 1910 Birmingham hallmarked Army mount Amber-stemmed, orific bit, straight billiard. JBB in an oblong chamfered rectangle for Joseph J. Brown of Hull.

Finishing off the 21yo El Dorado rum. Lots of rum "aficionados" disavow rums with "additives". This rum is slightly sweetened. All I can say is "a spoonful of sugar...." - if added judiciously, can enhance the product.

A side note on the El Dorado (Demerara Distillers Ltd) aged rums:-
With the collapse of the rum market, hundreds of rum distilleries were forced to close down world-wide. Demera Distillers took over a lot of the defunct distilleries in Guyana and maintained the stills that were operational. The aged expressions of El Dorado rums are blends of batches of rums from different stills. So a 15year old El Dorado is not the 12yo with 3 additional years of age. Nor is the 21yo the 15yo with 6 additional years of ageing. They are completely different blends of aged rums from a selection of different stills.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.