PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Me and @Sandblast at pipe club

View attachment 331307
Me- Eight State Burley in a Nording

He is enjoying a home blend parfait of Scottish Cake and McClelland in a Peterson 302 System Std (FT).
Things after last night's Pipe Club:
1) Thanks to BenMN for the pic! Coupla real STUDS there, right?
2) Recalling there were numerous favorable comments on Eight State Burley. I (regretfully) passed on sampling it, so took some time tonight to read up on Tobacco Reviews. Might have to try my hand at mimicking the recipe with a Home Blend.
3) Have been enjoying some Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium ... (Thanks, Ted) ... my first ever with this. It's nice. I like the idea that I'm touching something with a decade's old history, plus its original British roots.
4) Enjoyed an excellent Gyro Plate lunch today at a Lebanese Greek restaurant. Got a chance to use a bit of my Arabic language knowledge, always fun.
5) Grateful to several of my Pipe Club brothers for some other samples ... (Thanks, Craig & Steve & again Ted).
6) Love hearing the sharing of pipe & tobacco experiences, the talk, the various opinions and certainly the humor. Love seeing the different pipes that are brought ... as tantalizing as looking at the pipe pics shown on this forum.
7) For those who might be wondering from the pic = NO, I am NOT a Police Chief.

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Following up on my post just completed:
Per BenMN's comment, if I were ever to "lose" my name (Sandblast) --- which won't happen since I've had it since the old Smokersforums.Co.Uk --- I would call myself Parfait Guy. Maybe over half of the bowls I load, I do "double Parfaits", sometimes even "triple Parfaits". Of course, I also like Home Blending. Last night's Parfait was some McClelland VA atop some McConnell Scottish Cake. Kudos to BenMN for immediately identifying the McClelland in the smoke. I was impressed!

Also, last night, I brought a tin of McClelland Royal Cajun Special, dated '06. Cracked the tin (nice WHOOSH) & passed it around for all to sniff, but said the plan is to now let it breathe until next month's Pipe Club. Then we all, including me, can have the first sampling. Also have the Dark & the Ebony, still cellared. One member said I have more patience than he does, since he usually has the first pipe as soon as he cracks open a new tin. I've read a bunch about letting freshly cracked tobacco "breathe", "settle", so I'm trying to do it "right", but not criticizing anybody else's practices! Would be interested in opinions on McClelland's Cajun Black. They were such a special company (!!!), plus their Stave Aged idea.

Also, I'm letting Sobrbiker & Skippy (plus any others) know that their favorable comments on GH Rum (Jamaican) Flake haven't fallen on deaf ears. I just had to give in to a TAD Monday & amongst some tins, I added 4oz of Rum Flake ... maybe should have chosen 8oz. I've been giving GH some proper attention lately ... the Dark U/S, the Brown U/S plus added some Curly Cut Deluxe to a previous TAD. Hmm, does it ever end?

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Did a little low calorie snacking, and am smoking Wilke No. 72 in a pre-1974 dark brown straight Larus & Brother Co. Signature billiard with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem with the initials LCR on the top of the stem. This blend was smoked by Walter Cronkite.
Larus and Brother pot.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and have about a quarter of a bowl left of Watch City American Cut Plug Mixture in a black rusticated medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY 4AB No. 67/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Fed all the ferals. Abner the Eager is here again, and is eating. Harry the Hairy tried to chase him away, but I stopped that, and brought Abner inside to eat. Daisy the Feral Princess is snoozin' on her blanket.
4AB_Rusticated_67.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Passing the first third of this bowl of year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a 1984 medium bend black grain etched Savinelli Non Pareil 9310 pokerish dublin with a horn ferrule and a black vulcanite flared stem. Reading baseball box scores, and may end the day with this smoke.
Savinelli_NonPareil_poker9310.jpg

Last edited:

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
Reading the Summer 1999 issue of Pipes & Tobacco Magazine I picked up in Columbus, solving a three pipe problem. Accompanied by some of C&D’s Steamworks in a Nelson blasted pipe. I trust Mr. Holmes would approve.

The advertising alone in the magazine is so worth reading.

Attachments

• IMG_8835.jpeg
    IMG_8835.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 11