PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
How long should tinned tobacco keep once opened?
I don't want it to dry out in the 2 weeks between the Woodland Festival & the Redcoats & Revolutionaries event!
Get a mason jar from your local hardware shop, charity shops usually have them too, you can keep the tin for when you’re out and about or use the pouch I gave you. If there’s a good seal on the tin it’ll keep for a good while though.

Last edited:

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Get a mason jar from your local hardware shop, charity shops usually have them too, you can keep the tin for when you’re out and about or use the pouch I gave you. If there’s a good seal on the tin it’ll keep for a good while though.
In the NC summer weather, I can keep in a tin pretty safely for a couple of weeks, I move to jars if I’m not going to finish it quickly. I’d put it right in the jar if it was winter though. also, ziplocks or Mylar aren’t bad as a temp solution, not for long term, at least I don’t want that plastic taste leaching into the leaf

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
The new Peterson has the worst break in taste I’ve ever experienced, as I usually go for estates I’m not used to breaking them in. The unused antique pipes I get rarely taste bad and not for more than a couple of bowls, perhaps their age is a factor in that but I couldn’t say for sure.
Anyway I’m not smoking quality tobacco out of it until it’s properly broken in so it’s my Odds & Ends of various blends up next.

On the subject pocket knives I like a Damascus Higonokami to carry or Opinel at home as lock knives are illegal here as is anything with a +3” blade. Both are classic designs from their nation of origin, simple, tough, inexpensive and perfect for my needs. image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.