PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
@Wake&Flake I enjoyed the Full Virginia Flake in my clay pipes.
The only pure Virginia I've had is Ashton Gold Rush, which I would describe as all icing and no cake. I had been eyeing Capstan blue for a (hopefully) uncased, untopped Virginia. Smokingpipes is out of Full Virginia Flake, but there's a decent chance my local tobacconist has a tin. I'll keep an eye out, thanks!

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
I've got some GLP Quiet Nights in a Grabow Duke.

This is my favorite English so far, but I'm new and always looking for recommendations. I've had EMP, Balkan Sobranie, Plum Pudding, and Quiet Nights, which is my favorite. Thinking about Chelsea Morning next, but I welcome any input!

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've got some GLP Quiet Nights in a Grabow Duke.

This is my favorite English so far, but I'm new and always looking for recommendations. I've had EMP, Balkan Sobranie, Plum Pudding, and Quiet Nights, which is my favorite. Thinking about Chelsea Morning next, but I welcome any input!
I won't discourage you from Chelsea Morning, but that blend is going to be a more Virginia/Oriental forward blend compared to what you have been smoking. The blends that you seem to like are heavier in Latakia. I wouldn't disuade you from smoking it, as it's good, but I would recommend Gaslight next. It's in the sweetspot you have been dabbling in.

Jason

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
I won't discourage you from Chelsea Morning, but that blend is going to be a more Virginia/Oriental forward blend compared to what you have been smoking. The blends that you seem to like are heavier in Latakia. I wouldn't disuade you from smoking it, as it's good, but I would recommend Gaslight next. It's in the sweetspot you have been dabbling in.

Jason
Thanks! I checked it out on SP, and it will be in my next order for sure. I'm excited to try plug too

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
View attachment 91688
Just got this in the mail. Mr Doodler with some Half N Half in it. Man I love this thing! Smokes great and feels great I know it’s a gimmick type pipe but I love it and thinks it’s going to be my new codger blend pipe. Cheers!
If you haven't lookin into your pipe's history here's some info gleaned from the internet:-

"In 1951 Marvin Greene, renowned artist and film producer, set out to change the face of pipe smoking in both a stylish and functional manner. He decided to employ the pipe making genius Tracy Mincer to assist in designing such a pipe. The first goal of the team was to make the pipe the coolest smoker of its time. To this end they decided to place as many air intake holes as they could around the bowl of the pipe. This was their first mistake. The holes actually served no practical purpose as they only hampered the draw without any of the cooling properties they sought. The second goal was to create a pipe that mirrored the space-crazy styles of the early 1950s. To achieve this, they carved deep rings around the outside of the bowl to mimic the rings around Saturn. While quite stylish for the time, it actually further hampered the smokeability of the pipe as it created alternating cool and hot sections surrounding the bowl. Not only did this cause rampant burnout, it made it virtually impossible to correctly gauge the heat of the tobacco and further reduced the cooling of the smoke sought by the intake holes. As the project deadline approached, they realized that there was no way to save the pipe and, even worse, they were out of money for the project. While neither man wanted to have his name attached to such a horrific piece of pipe technology, they had to put it into production to cover the cost of the prototypes. They both spent the last few days of production trying desperately, and in vain, to discover a solution. As chance would have it they were assisted by Mr. Greene's son. He suggested that they market the pipe at such a price that it would only be available to the super rich. Such a person he reasoned would be unlikely to broadcast the fact that he had purchased such a horrendous, expensive item. Instead they would all speak of it as the best pipe they had ever purchased. As for the name, he said that they should name it "doodler" because it was artistic and it aptly described the pipe as no better than dog doodle. The pipe went into full production and saw record sales. Mr. Greene's son was entirely correct as to its reception and both Mr. Greene and Mr. Mincer retired a few years later as very wealthy men."
From: The Complete Guide to Pipes of the Early 20th Century by Phillip J. Fry

One of my favorites, an early 1940’s “Streamliner”, unsmoked. Some type of hardwood, Maple I think. I have 3 of these Streamliners. I just dig the shape.

AC3-C67-C1-3-F44-4999-B686-0-C5-E03945590.jpg

"I'll buy that for a dollar"
While your example is clearly not made of briar "genuine briar" was definitely used as seen in this 1941 advert
1628470306675.png

1628469119917.png1628469135623.png

Status
Not open for further replies.