PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, wild caught catfish and sugar snap peas dinner with a small scoop of Dutch chocolate ice cream for dessert. I'm a quarter of the way through this bowl of year 2013 Tilbury in a smooth medium bend 1999 Peterson Sherlock Holmes Series Milverton with a sterling silver band and a black vulcanite p-lip stem. Ethical Coffee Sweet Expresso, neat, is my drink.
Peterson Sherlock Holmes_Milverton.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011

Peterson: 3 P's - Peterson's Perfect Plug in a Meer...​

RSunPJ4.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tabac-Manil Semois thick cut in a Parker cherrywood shape blast poker. It was love at first puff with a sample from a Forums member, and when I enthused about it, another member sent me a nearly full package of it, along with a large tin of Frog Morton Cellar and a Ferndown pipe. What generosity. A tale I like to tell.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
While your example is clearly not made of briar "genuine briar" was definitely used as seen in this 1941 advert
View attachment 91814

Perhaps they were initially, or the initial add copy specifies briar. Unless a manufacturer was sitting on mountain of briar, like Kaywoodie, other woods would have been used going into the production of these as WWII progressed and the supply of briar became problematic due to the war.

I have an earlier pipe with a "Bow Tie" Streamliner logo and the same patent number that appears to be made of Strawberry Wood (Arbutus Undeo). I believe these were made before Weber picked up rights to manufacture the design.

$ .30/Hr. was the minimum wage in 1940, so this would have taken over 3.3 hours of work in order to pay for it. If you were to apply today's $15.00/Hr. minimum wage, it becomes a $50.00 pipe...

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
About a third of a bowl left of Angler's Dream in a 2018 natural smooth medium bend Peterson 03 apple silver spigot military mount with a tapered black acrylic fish tail stem. Working and chatting with an old friend about the good old days of comics and the cartoonists we knew.
Peterson03_Natural_Spigot_2Stems.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
About a third of a bowl left of Angler's Dream in a 2018 natural smooth medium bend Peterson 03 apple silver spigot military mount with a tapered black acrylic fish tail stem. Working and chatting with an old friend about the good old days of comics and the cartoonists we knew.
View attachment 91827

I had quite a pile of comic books back in the late 60’s, early 70’s. My parents would give me some change to buy a few comics for the drive up to our cabin in order to keep me occupied. I then discovered Mad Magazine, then National Lampoon. The Lampoon mags ended up being tossed after my Mother happened to pick one up and start reading it one day. She didn’t quite get the parody and took one of the adds in a particular parody as a serious add. ?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I had quite a pile of comic books back in the late 60’s, early 70’s. My parents would give me some change to buy a few comics for the drive up to our cabin in order to keep me occupied. I then discovered Mad Magazine, then National Lampoon. The Lampoon mags ended up being tossed after my Mother happened to pick one up and start reading it one day. She didn’t quite get the parody and took one of the adds in a particular parody as a serious add. ?
Oh, man!!!! :)

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
I've got some GLP Quiet Nights in a Grabow Duke.

This is my favorite English so far, but I'm new and always looking for recommendations. I've had EMP, Balkan Sobranie, Plum Pudding, and Quiet Nights, which is my favorite. Thinking about Chelsea Morning next, but I welcome any input!
Chelsea Morning is also delightful to my tastes. I would recommend it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A couple of minutes away from smoking Sutliff TS-4 White Burley in a 2015 dark brown smooth straight Basil Meadows Merchant Service “Bing” replica with an aluminum band and black ebonite stem. Just fed Suzy and Molly, and am going back to work.
Bing1 copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.