PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Now smoking 2003 Rich's Renaissance (a Steve Books blend) in a "Charatan's Make London, England Executive" egg (no other nomenclature). The jar was sealed with wax since 2003. Just had a filling Chicken Vindaloo dinner and I'm now relaxing with an IPA and my pipe while watching some 1960s Doctor Who.

View attachment 92968
@Count Vajda I notice the clay pipe in the background - do you ever smoke it?

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Good afternoon All
A return to work after summer leave. Moddey Dhoo Poker with Samuel Gawith’s St James Flake.
Happy smokes.
Ettrick puffer
Moddey Dhoo. I have not heard that name in many years. The ghost dog that haunts Peel Castle. I wonder if that's a new Rattrays pipe then, as they use names linked to mythology and folklore of the British isles.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Afternoon everyone, I got a small order in from Estervals in today. Two Capstan Blue Flake, a tin of Germain’s Mixture No 7 and Independence by DTM.
I’m starting with the Germain’s No7 in a BC Ventose, it’s quite heavily topped with a Red Wine/spice mix according to the description and I’m questioning my purchase, it’s made by Mac Baren even though it bears the Germain’s name on the front of the tin. I’m surprised they put they’re name on it actually. It could improve in the coming days I guess. image.jpg

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Afternoon everyone, I got a small order in from Estervals in today. Two Capstan Blue Flake, a tin of Germain’s Mixture No 7 and Independence by DTM.
I’m starting with the Germain’s No7 in a BC Ventose, it’s quite heavily topped with a Red Wine/spice mix according to the description and I’m questioning my purchase, it’s made by Mac Baren even though it bears the Germain’s name on the front of the tin. I’m surprised they put they’re name on it actually. It could improve in the coming days I guess.
Estervals you say?! Arriving without incident I hope! Are they using DHL Express in the UK as well?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Preparing another tobacco with. GL Pease Navigator, in corn cob Carolina Gent, and a mug black beer...........On the 18th I'm going on vacation to Galicia ( Vigo) If there is a fellow member of the forum near Arbo or Vigo, you can send a message to have a few beers. Arbo is a town in Galicia one kilometer from the north of Portugal,near Alvaredo. In that area I don't have much internet coverage I think. I have not visited again for three years. I will try to connect with you from the mobile or tablet...............I take pipe tobacco and some Havan cigars, to smoke in the rural country house............

Mar 1, 2014
Newminster Superior Round Slices.
I had to torch the living daylights out of it to make it burn, but what a flavorful blend this is. Not harsh at all unless I go full freight train (I did top it with Woodford Reserve Whiskey after chopping and fully rubbing it out but that can't affect the flavor too much).
Even in a medium sized bowl it would have easily gone two hours but I dumped it after an hour and a half, the finish does start to get a bit ashy at that point.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Estervals you say?! Arriving without incident I hope! Are they using DHL Express in the UK as well?
No problem at all this time around thank heavens. It’s DHL until it hits Britain and then they hand it over to Parcelforce (Royal Mail). Unfortunately however, aside from the Capstan my choices weren’t great. Live and learn I guess.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I’m smoking the Independence now in the BBB bent bulldog, it’s got a nice wide bowl which I thought would be good with this rather coarse and dry blend. Halfway through the bowl it’s starting to come into its own and my initial opinion has changed. Given a little time in the jar I think this will open up a bit and I feel somewhat vindicated in its purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.