PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
The Cloud Atlas by Liam Callanan. This is not the book the Tom Hanks movie was based on. This takes place in Alaska and involves the Japanese ballon bombs of late WWII.

Reactions: Bowie

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
While I hate watching reruns on TV, I have books that I read time and time again. I am currently reading Jubal Sackett by Louis L'amour. I have 6 other Sackett books I'll read next.
My wife and I are avid readers. I have several books and series that I've read multiple times. There are books I read as a teenager then re-read in my thirties and again in my mid fifties and found different meaning each time.

Reactions: chopper and Bowie

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
What an amazing man. One of my bucket list items is to set outside his cabin and smoke a bowl or two.
An amazing gent for sure. I used to Caribou hunt over there all the time. My father in law is a big fan as well and hasn’t been over there, so I’m taking him to Dick’s place this summer as soon as the ice is out so I can land there. Definitely planning on smoking a bowl haha.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
An amazing gent for sure. I used to Caribou hunt over there all the time. My father in law is a big fan as well and hasn’t been over there, so I’m taking him to Dick’s place this summer as soon as the ice is out so I can land there. Definitely planning on smoking a bowl haha.
Awesome! I'm jealous. Please take a photo or two dozen while you're there and post them here so I and others can live vicariously through you.

Reactions: Carol and chopper

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Awesome! I'm jealous. Please take a photo or two dozen while you're there and post them here so I and others can live vicariously through you.
Hahaha, will do!

PS your bucket list item is not unfeasible. I think there are multiple air taxis that go out there. In fact I think one may even still be run by the Alsworth family. It’s probably not that expensive.

By the time I’m done paying for gas I’ll probably wish I had just taken one myself, hahaha.

DanK

Lurker
Feb 28, 2020
Spending my day off in my flat in Greece and reading Tolkien's books now. I don't read often as I have a lot of work and other hobbies. But sometimes I need it while having a rest:)

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Just finished The Machiavellians by James Burnham. Fascinating book about beginning a real science of politics, rather than ideology.

Just started The Cave and the Light by Arthur Herman, about the roots of Western Civilization in the philosophy of Plato and Aristotle.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Finished his 880 pages of anticlimactic pile of toilet papers. Starting on another of his novel.

View attachment 21552

Hahaha. I've read Cryptonomicon and REAMDE. I found both enjoyable but not totally "my thing". REAMDE was sort of Crichton-esque which I enjoyed. I picked up Seveneves cheap at a used book store in Hawaii recently. How are you finding it so far?

Which one is his pile of anticlimactic toilet paper? haha.

Reactions: bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Hahaha. I've read Cryptonomicon and REAMDE. I found both enjoyable but not totally "my thing". REAMDE was sort of Crichton-esque which I enjoyed. I picked up Seveneves cheap at a used book store in Hawaii recently. How are you finding it so far?

Which one is his pile of anticlimactic toilet paper? haha.

I like his books. But his last one sucked big time. "Fall or Dodge in Hell." It was slow to start and felt he rushed the ending. "Cryptonomicon" and "REAMDE" were good. So were his "Snowcrash" and trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.