My dad got me this for Christmas, it is incredible so far:

516l95x1oIL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: aquadoc

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Just finished:
And now revisiting The Candle of Vision by AE, read 30 years ago and loved it:
"Known to his contemporaries as the 'Myriad-Mind Man', George William Russell (1867-1935) was an artist, a journalist, a poet, a playwright, a mystic, a seer, and much else besides. A friend and rival of W B Yeats, Russell - or 'AE' as he liked to be known - played an important part in the 'Celtic Revival' of the early twentieth century, wielding an influence which today is largely forgotten. In 'The Candle of Vision' Russell attempts to describe the revelations and visions that came to him with increasing frequency from his early twenties, messages and intuitions that convinced him that "the Golden Age was all about me, and it was we who had been blind to it, but that it had never passed away from the world."

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Still plowing through Dick Proenneke’s journals. After that I may read the Lord of the Rings series again. I got an awesome new set of them for christmas, and also bought myself a new vauen auenland churchwarden. It’s Fate.

Reactions: Bowie

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Still plowing through Dick Proenneke’s journals. After that I may read the Lord of the Rings series again. I got an awesome new set of them for christmas, and also bought myself a new vauen auenland churchwarden. It’s Fate.
I’ve watched the documentary about Proenneke a few times. How are his journals?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Max Hastings' Armageddon is worth reading for fans of WWII history. I find this book fascinating because among other things he rates the fighting effectiveness of the different armies involved the European theater. [Spoiler alert, the US and Britain don't rank very high.]

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I’ve watched the documentary about Proenneke a few times. How are his journals?
Theres like 4 documentaries, haha. The journals are great. I would suggest going in order though, gives you the whole picture.

Of course I am biased, since Ive spent much of my life in similar places doing similar things (although certainly not to the extent Dick did), so I dont know how they would read for someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.