Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Gods of Eden
by William Bramley

Ancient extraterrestrial astronauts, ancient gods, and the corrosive development of hidden brotherhoods and secret societies; all this and the foundation and genus of contemporary religions, politics and war.

A different take on human development and history from the wars of the pharaohs to the assassination of JFK that I personally find alternatively heretical, informative, ridiculous, fascinating and infuriating.

It gives me an 180 degree spin from my regular KJV reading and sparks plenty to think about over a pipe.

Reactions: derhammer

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Blind Men and the Elephant - A short parable, quickly found in online searches.

Tonight, I'm off to see a puppet show on this one. Should be interesting.

At any rate, a good parable to remind us of our limited awareness of our own misperceptions and what we think is true.

Reactions: edger and litup

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
Hey am just bout to sit down with a pipe and a book i recieved from my parents last christmas and only started the other day he he called kokoda by peter fitzsimons , about young aussies in ww2 on the kokoda track . Not a happy book but most inspiring.

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
The Haunted Season, by G.M. Malliet. Also spent a lot of time reading my own writing, which is no fun, because galleys came in from the publisher.

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
Not even your students? What do you teach?

Yeah, it does sux when nobody cares. I wrote a book once and, well...
Well, I suppose students will read it and other academics. I'm an anthropologist. My favorite royalty check was one for $2.53. I have had better ones, but that one is particularly dear to me... Academic books don't usually sell much, but if they get cited, then all is good.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
This is a cool thread. I’m reading guitar magazines (always) and a never-ending pipeline (thanks to the Massachusetts library system) of “popular” behavioral psych and neuroscience.

Reactions: Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.