PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
the wifey is coming home late tonight with my new Kindle Oasis. I much prefer a real paper book but in its absence I will use it. The first book I read will either be a Connie Willis or the last 2 books of Tad Williams' Series "To Green Angel Tower".

Aug 1, 2012
I prefer actual books also, but as I get older, it is nicer to have the ability to make the text larger.
I completely agree with this. I will always choose a real book if I can but when I am in a country where English is not the primary language, I will go with the electronic version.

Back home I will always default to my old collection. Some Aasimov, Zelazney, Asprin, Pratchett, Brian Jacques, Kipling, etc.

Reactions: Bowie

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
I'm in a Great Books Group that has been going for 2 years or so now, this month we are reading Plato's Theaetetus, Sophist, and Statesman. For lighter reading when Plato makes my head hurt, I'm reading I, Robot by Asimov.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Reading aloud the first Harry Potter (The Sorcerers Stone) to my 11 yr old autistic daughter. A Sand County Almanac by Leopold (an annual visit). Seamus Heaney Poems 1965-1975. And at least 2 science papers an evening: tonight, "A reduction in spring mixing due to road salt runoff entering Mirror Lake" and "Why climate change makes riparian restoration more important than ever: recommendations for practice and research".

Reactions: edger and Bowie

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Kids, Sex & Screens: Raising Strong, Resilient Children in the Sexualized Digital Age

An eye opening read and a good book to hand out to anyone with kids. I picked it up because I have a 9 year old son and it was suggested that I was already a couple of years too late.

With the internet, it sure as hell isn't anything like finding an old stash of playboy magazines in the basement, and I think that most people are just completely oblivious.

Good luck.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
The Orientalist. A biography about an author previously unknown to me, Lev Nussimbaum aka Essad Bey aka several other aliases. Born in Baku, Azerbadjan 1905 he seemed always to be where things got bad. The russian revolution, the fall of the Osmannic Empire, various acts of revolution and violence in the Weimar rebublic etc until his death in Italy during WW2. Very fascinating.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I just read “Make Your Bed“ by retired Admiral William McRaven. This is a quick read and each of my four grown children will receive it at Christmas. Since they could read they have received a book at Christmas even my grandchildren get a book each year From the time they were born. A tradition I will continue until I am gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.