Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Taking a 2nd crack at Tolkien’s The Silmarillion. And enjoying this thread, with an uncharacteristically sweet smoke.
Tolkien had a brilliant mind. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but he had a deep mind and great talent. I love the fact that he and his friends couldn't find the types of stories they were looking for so they decided to write their own for their own entertainment.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Here is the new thread.
It has been my lifelong belief that human nature is immutable and unchanging.

It’s only by public education, that we can lift ourselves from peering out of our caves into the darkness and live as rational children of the Lord.

The current book I’m reading reinforces my belief that human beings do not change more than any I’ve read recently.

Its named Pale Rider, the author is Laura Spinney, published in 2017, and it about the 1918 Spanish Flu and how it changed the world.

There is nothing new, under the sun.

In another century somebody will write a book about the Covid 19 epidemic that will read just about the same as Pale Rider.

Reactions: Egg Shen

giacomo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2018
Massachusetts (South Shore)
This Is How They Tell Me The World Ends, by Nicole Perlroth. A truly frightening book about the cyberweapons arms race. Haven't finished yet but I'm having a hard time comprehending how deep people are poking around in our electronic devices.
Maybe I'm just naive.
Well, off to the "What are you drinking now thread" to find some inspiration, because I need one.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Taking a 2nd crack at Tolkien’s The Silmarillion. And enjoying this thread, with an uncharacteristically sweet smoke.
Phew that was a tough one for me, but I was a teenager. Certainly not an easy read like Hobbit/LOTR.
View attachment 138931

I realized I know almost nothing about this point in history in the middle east, and I wanted to charge that.
added to my list. I love history too. There obviously is so much history that is barely touched on in western education- I enjoy understanding how the world has taken shape. Thanks for sharing.

I just finished this one. It is so weird that Picasso got his hoard of friends and colleagues to stop this one from being published in his lifetime. It is written by his ex, and she does a great job of showing his genius and downplays his role as a womanizer. Or, at least she showed her willingness to share Picasso. Her at 18 and him at 61. So many people look at relationships from the past through their own tinted lenses, and criticize him. Picasso told everyone, the world, that he treated women like goddesses and doormats. He never made a claim to be monogamous. He had kids by many women, and treated all of his women and kids with respect and shared his wealth generously.

What I loved about this book was getting the behind the scene look at his ventures in other mediums after the war; printmaking and ceramics. So many craftsmen were willing help him, probably hoping that by getting closer to Picasso would seal their own names in history. 5/5, art and Picasso fans will really want to check this one out.
1651150277846.png

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I got an impulse to read yesterday for the first time in a long while, so I went to the library and got myself a copy of notes from the underground. I just finished it, and I don't really know what to say, it was interesting, but I felt lost at times from his rambling. The first part had some fun thought-provoking parts. Looking forward to reading some of his other work, any recommendations?

Reactions: brian64
Another Picasso book, this one by Norman Mailer. I think that getting the backstory on Picasso as the young genius growing up and his first years in Paris really helps one understand how his style developed. I really enjoyed the book, but Norman Mailer's allusions to gayness between Picasso and his close friend was too much IMO. Two men can be friends, and one grieve the loss of that friend without there having been any sexual allusions. Just pulling shit out of thin air.
But, even so... it is still a really good book with a lot of insight, despite Norma's weirdnesses.
1651258140986.png

Reactions: edger

Tom Sawtooth

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
Romania
View attachment 142427
I got an impulse to read yesterday for the first time in a long while, so I went to the library and got myself a copy of notes from the underground. I just finished it, and I don't really know what to say, it was interesting, but I felt lost at times from his rambling. The first part had some fun thought-provoking parts. Looking forward to reading some of his other work, any recommendations?
You should try The Brothers Karamazov & Crime and Punishment.

There is also The Idiot & Demons.

And few others but I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.