23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the midst of stacks and piles of papers trying to get taxes done in time for the accountant to get them filed on time, but I do take breaks to search for something to read next once I get done with this mess.

I am so tired of mysteries and crime, which seems to permeate the entire publishing industry right now. And, I'd rather have my eyes plucked out than to read someone's political take on wars or history. Someone needs to write about something new, fiction or sci-fi, just explore something besides a crime FFS.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I am in the midst of stacks and piles of papers trying to get taxes done in time for the accountant to get them filed on time, but I do take breaks to search for something to read next once I get done with this mess.

I am so tired of mysteries and crime, which seems to permeate the entire publishing industry right now. And, I'd rather have my eyes plucked out than to read someone's political take on wars or history. Someone needs to write about something new, fiction or sci-fi, just explore something besides a crime FFS.
Sounds like a nice afternoon with a pipe and some bodice rippers will get that reading compass reset!

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"The Collected Poems of Robert Bly," working on all 500 and some pages of work. Bly died in November 2021 in his nineties after a long and illustrious career in poetry and writing about mens' issues. My interactions with him, I'd give mixed reviews, but I've always been interested in his work, the poetry more than the "Iron John" epoch. There is a great emphasis in his work of a kind of floating consciousness, dropping the reader as he called it, like you'd drop a fledgling bird to get it to fly. There's gold in there, but you have to march through a lot of beautiful but seemingly arbitrary images. The loose context makes memorable lines infrequent for me. But here's one I really liked, one of the few I underlined: "...more full of joy than a wagonload of hay." During my last duty station in the Navy, I was living in a ravaged welfare hotel, saving money for out-of-state tuition, and I sent Bly some poems that included some humor, and being a rather serious old Norwegian, he scrawled on the rejection slip, "You are a wiseass." Thanks Bob, my fellow Navy veteran. My favorite book of his was his Vietnam War, "Teeth Mother Naked At Last." Ironically.

NoogaPipe

Lurker
Jan 11, 2022
Really enjoying film director Barry Sonnenfeld's memoir "Call Your Mother" as a light, hilarious read.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
suffrage-9781501165184_lg.jpg

What some women had to physically go through to get a vote is incredible. Pretty good story so far.

Reactions: makhorkasmoker

Foxxi

Lurker
Mar 30, 2022
I used to read a lot, but now I like to read literature about programming. I think this is what allows us to create applications or gain new knowledge. Anyway, programming literature is something that is with me every day now.

Status
Not open for further replies.