PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
I had a very hard time with this one. I am a speed reader, and this one has to be read slower (almost like a textbook), and it refers to other aspects of the story to understand what is going on. That, and I have a hard time when a book glamorizes drugs and such. I'm not so much of a prude that I don't understand that it is prevalent in our culture, and is a part of most of our cultural literacy, but there is just so much of it in this book. I have yet to finish it, nor do I plan to.
I recognize it as an important book. I just don't think that it is one for me. But, kuddos for reading it.
Truly a tough one and a bit of work to finish it.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Just picked up a new "Hard Case Crime" title - the covers are fun, lol.

Last weekend the Scott Glenn version of "Man On Fire" was on TV, so I watched it. The Denzel version is pretty good. Noticed it was based on a book and turns out a short series of books by A.J. Quinnell, so ordered three of them off Amazon and finished the first one yesterday and into the second today. Movies aren't really true to the first book, "Man On Fire", or even that similar to each other.

The book is good! If you like the Jack Reacher series of books, you'll find these similar in a way in style and intent, and they are well written.

ECE8E1C0-3743-4FE9-9FC9-9C56BF9234DF.jpeg

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Just started The Guns Of August, by Barbara Tuchman
My wife and I were walking our new,at the time, Irish Terrier puppy in Greenwich CT, and met a young woman who said she had one as well. She invited us over for a puppy play date. It turned out we spent the afternoon on their lovely farm chatting with her parents. Barbara Tuchman was her mother.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I’m reading The Best American Travel Writing 2008, edited by Anthony Bourdain and Founding God’s Nation, by Leon R. Kass, a commentary on the Book of Exodus. The latter is revelatory.
Then, a murder mystery or two to clear my head. Ellis Peters George Felse mysteries are favorites. Yes she wrote something other than the Cadfael mysteries!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
My wife and I were walking our new,at the time, Irish Terrier puppy in Greenwich CT, and met a young woman who said she had one as well. She invited us over for a puppy play date. It turned out we spent the afternoon on their lovely farm chatting with her parents. Barbara Tuchman was her mother.
Very cool!

Reactions: edger

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
After reading 'The Food of France', I picked up Root's autobiography: 'The Paris Edition' and have almost finished it. Reading this at the same time - written in 1944, it's really an interesting view of WWII. 630 pages of non-battle stuff.

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: edger

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Got this a couple years ago and hated to put it down when I needed to sleep or go to work - at the time the only new edition I could order in paperback was large print, lol, and I actually enjoyed (needed?) it!
It's a great historical account. I have been an admirer of Sir Winston since childhood for his courage, organistional skills and later, while competitively debating in high school, for his oratorical gift. Now I also admire him for his compassion when England was enduring its bleakest days.

Status
Not open for further replies.