PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Rereading this, I need a nice imaginative sci-fi novel. It is the first of a trilogy.

220px-Inherit-Stars.jpg
Love the cover art!

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
The Body by Bill Bryson. I’m a big fan of Bryson, he writes like I think and takes anecdotal side trips into little pockets of history and he’s funny as hell. At Home is one I’ve read through three or four times and it doesn’t get old. This new one just gives me medical anxiety, though. Interesting enough, but he doesn’t use a single cuss word anywhere, which he is the King of Judicial Cussing.

Also working through Great Plains by Ian Frazier. It’s awesome.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
On to book 3:

506197.jpg

So I recently became aware that there was actually a third book in the series and wanted to read it. I found it on eBay but for too much money, and shipping was as well. I didn't really want to go to Amazon, so i emailed a local used bookstore maybe 2 blocks from my house. I emailed at maybe 8am, and minutes later had a response. Yes they had the book and they are open until 12.

I said I couldn't get there in time as I am doing at home school for my kids now. They asked where I lived and offered to deliver the book to my door.

By noon I had the copy in my hands!

Supporting local and having it delivered faster than anything - nice.

Yesterday, I got a copy of First Person Singular by Haruki Murakami. It is an early edition, not supposed to be released till this Spring, but I have a connection in my book club. I am eager to read this before it hits the shelves. It is a collection of his short stories, of which I enjoy as much as his intoxicating novels. It takes a lot for me to love an author, but the last few years I have been a Murakami fanboy.
1611148223470.png
If someone is looking to get into Japanese psychological thrillers, this is the author... and, I highly suggest The Wind Up Bird Chronicles for getting your feet wet.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
"Some Can Whistle", by Larry McMurtry. Been sitting on my shelf for an age, and finally got to it. I've read several of his novels over the years, and have always enjoyed them; dunno why I put off this one for so long.

Reactions: JOHN72

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
"Some Can Whistle", by Larry McMurtry. Been sitting on my shelf for an age, and finally got to it. I've read several of his novels over the years, and have always enjoyed them; dunno why I put off this one for so long.
McMurtry is one of the few great contemporary writers. Of course the Lonesome Dove Series was classic. Always a surprise. Two months ago I turned on Hud, not realizing this was one of his works. If you haven’t read the Berrybender novels, you are in for a treat.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
National Review, City Journal, various history books, Pipesmagazine( to excess), and The Case for Keto by Gary Taubes. Got to get a handle on my eating habits.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Carol

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Had this arrive in my post today. I'm a huge Winchester fan and have many of his books, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed. This will be my next book.

The Men Who United the States: The Amazing Stories of the Explorers, Inventors and Mavericks Who Made America by Simon Winchester.​

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: JOHN72 and edger
Status
Not open for further replies.