PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Well my first try at Rebel Yell Rye last night was a roaring success. Tonight I'll be having my first go on the Rittenhouse Rye and if the reviews I've read are accurate then I'm in for a proper treat ?

Regards,

Jay.?
I’ve heard Rittenhouse is good. Never tried it personally. Looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well guys, the Rittenhouse Rye was a huge disappointment for some reason! I really wasn't impressed at all, however it was my first and as yet only taste so I'll try again on another evening.

Perhaps my palate was off for some reason....I really don't know. The mashbill looks to be normal so either I got a duff bottle or it was simply me. I passed the bottle on to my neighbour to try tonight, meanwhile, I just poured my first ever Bulleit Rye for tonight's tipple at 10pm.....hey.....it's 10:06....got to dash guys ?

Regards,

Jay.?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Well guys, the Rittenhouse Rye was a huge disappointment for some reason! I really wasn't impressed at all, however it was my first and as yet only taste so I'll try again on another evening.

Perhaps my palate was off for some reason....I really don't know. The mashbill looks to be normal so either I got a duff bottle or it was simply me. I passed the bottle on to my neighbour to try tonight, meanwhile, I just poured my first ever Bulleit Rye for tonight's tipple at 10pm.....hey.....it's 10:06....got to dash guys ?

Regards,

Jay.?
Bulleit rye is not bad. It’s been a while, but I remember it being a little dryer than their bourbon, with a mild rye spiciness.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Bulleit rye is not bad. It’s been a while, but I remember it being a little dryer than their bourbon, with a mild rye spiciness."

Bladesmith, I'm in bed now but can say the Bulleit Rye I had tonight was far, far better than the Rittenhouse Rye of last night!

I shall compare the three ryes on the forum after I've had a few more tasters of each to get a fair balance.

Cheers chum and goodnight!

Regards,

Jay.?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just ordered three new to me whiskies, 2 American & one Canadian.

They are McAfee's Benchmark at 40% abv, Early Times Old Reserve also at 40% abv and my first ever Canadian whisky Pike Creek 10 Year Old Rum Finish at 42% abv.

From what I can gather, the two American bourbons are at the lower end of the market though I'm perfectly fine with that but the Canadian blend is one I look forward to most of all, rum barrel finished sounds really interesting, plus it's the only spirit I will have tried from the American continent that actually has an age statement!

Regards,

Jay.

benchmark.jpg

early times.jpg

pike-creek-10-year-old-whisky.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
vfmRF8h.jpg
Neat!...

Water today ... but I forgot to post what I drank last week.

A friend and his wife came over. Both my friend and I love scotch but his wife only drinks wine or rum.

So my friend and I started with Glenmorangie Extremely Rare 18 yo and followed it up with Aberlour 16 yo Sherry Cask

I bought a huge bottle of Kraken rum for my friends wife, with the intent that whatever she does not consume that evening will be finished by me over a few months.

However after a couple of scotches, my friend and I decided to try Kraken. We were so pleasantly surprised- not only it offered a change of pace from scotch, it tastes beautiful both as a mixer as well as a sipping rum. We spent the rest of the evening drinking Kraken.

Wonderful recommendation by the forum - I think it was @chasingembers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Water today ... but I forgot to post what I drank last week.

A friend and his wife came over. Both my friend and I love scotch but his wife only drinks wine or rum.

So my friend and I started with Glenmorangie Extremely Rare 18 yo and followed it up with Aberlour 16 yo Sherry Cask

I bought a huge bottle of Kraken rum for my friends wife, with the intent that whatever she does not consume that evening will be finished by me over a few months.

However after a couple of scotches, my friend and I decided to try Kraken. We were so pleasantly surprised- not only it offered a change of pace from scotch, it tastes beautiful both as a mixer as well as a sipping rum. We spent the rest of the evening drinking Kraken.

Wonderful recommendation by the forum - I think it was @chasingembers
Long time fan.??

Status
Not open for further replies.