PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Back in the saddle. I've brought my Randy Wiley X 2 with me today, 30 deg outside. Some SG Virginia Flake and some GH & Co. Dark Bird's Eye. Enjoying some Shiner Snore Ale as part of my balanced breakfast. I already had my coffee.KIMG0846.JPG

Home Brewing Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Cooked a ribeye over the fire while drinking a Golden Monkey beer. Enjoyed the ribeye with a baked potato, steamed green beans, and a cabernet. After dinner, I sat by the fire with one of my MM cobbits loaded with Auenland - The Shire.

Tomorrow I will be brewing my first beer since moving to Tennessee. If anyone is interested, I'll post pics in a new thread.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Now that I did the 3 Ss since I got home from work, maybe not shave, I made a dirty martini with some Fords Gin, garlic stuffed olives, and Martini & Rossi Sweet Vermouth. Ready to party with Banksy and Norman Rockwell ? Yeah, I gotta work tomorrow, but I'm beyond caring.KIMG0848.JPG

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
New bottle of Old Scout mmmm? View attachment 129062
14A3628F-5548-4719-9339-EB2A65770E3F.jpeg
After hearing @Laurent singing the praises of Old Scout, I decided to crack open a barrel pick that I picked up last summer. It was recommended by my favorite liquor store manager, and he had a hand in selecting the barrel. The palate was a beautiful buttery honey with some viscosity, but the finish turned slightly bitter with what I can only described as a green wood taste. I’m hoping a little air time will smooth the rough edges off the finish and I can get it to match that wonderful palate. Cheers!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I've not seen this for sale for an age....thought it was discontinued, but my local Asda seem to have found a batch so I snagged 12 bottles last week.

It's Guinness 'West Indies Porter' and is pretty similar to 'regular' Guinness but without the nitrogen gas and a higher gravity (6%). Very tasty indeed but not a patch on their 'Guinness Foreign Extra' which weighs in at 7.5% but still a worthwhile tipple for a wintry evening.

porter.jpg

TASTING NOTES​

A deep rich and characterful porter with hints of toffee and chocolate.
Aroma: Toffee, caramel, slight chocolatey notes
Flavour: Sweet with chocolate and toffee flavours
Palate: Smooth easy finish with a medium sweet mouth feel
ABV: 6%
Appearance: Ruby red with a frothy head driven by the carbonation

THE STORY OF GUINNESS® WEST INDIES PORTER​

Quality has always been in Guinness’ DNA, even back in the 1800s when faced with the challenge of how to maintain the freshness of our beer, on long sea voyages. To guarantee the best quality upon arrival, Guinness brewers made a porter with more hops. The recipe was a success and was soon shipped far and wide to countries in the Caribbean, America, Africa and South East Asia, and its ancestor, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is still sold there today.

With origins in an 1801 entry in Guinness’ brewers’ diaries, today’s Guinness West Indies Porter was inspired by the first beer purposely brewed at St. James’s Gate to sustain its freshness, wherever it was shipped. The beer is complex yet mellow, hoppy with notes of toffee and chocolate.

Regards,

Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.