PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I was going to pull some after 24hrs and the rest at 48hrs. I’m worried I might over oak it but maybe I should let it go for 72hrs?

Have you tried anything else in your bottle besides Evan Williams?
When we did the Evan Williams, there was a significant difference between two days and three days. You may wish to pull some after two to compare, but I suspect three days will be smoother, richer, and fuller (and preferable).

Reactions: JOHN72
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I was going to pull some after 24hrs and the rest at 48hrs. I’m worried I might over oak it but maybe I should let it go for 72hrs?

Have you tried anything else in your bottle besides Evan Williams?

Yes, we took an $8.00 bottle (I thought it was $6.00, but Susan corrected me) of Clan MacGregor that was on sale (which was surprisingly smooth as is, if a bit boring) and played with that. One of our plans was to take some pure moonshine and see if we could get it close to a whisky in half a year, but the catastrophic crack occurred while doing the Clan MacGregor from not submerging it to wet both the inside and outside. I bought a replacement Oak Bottle or two after that, but got caught up with other things and haven’t done anything recently.

Definitely try it after two days and taste it first. It’s possible the extra day might make it too oaky. We didn’t find it so, but YMMV. Susan was concerned about over oaking, but liked the three day version. I'm not sure if yours came with the tip sheet:

IMG_20230320_143015.jpg

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Yes, we took an $8.00 bottle (I thought it was $6.00, but Susan corrected me) of Clan MacGregor that was on sale (which was surprisingly smooth as is, if a bit boring) and played with that. One of our plans was to take some pure moonshine and see if we could get it close to a whisky in half a year, but the catastrophic crack occurred while doing the Clan MacGregor from not submerging it to wet both the inside and outside. I bought a replacement Oak Bottle or two after that, but got caught up with other things and haven’t done anything recently.

Definitely try it after two days and taste it first. It’s possible the extra day might make it too oaky. We didn’t find it so, but YMMV. Susan was concerned about over oaking, but liked the three day version. I'm not sure if yours came with the tip sheet:

View attachment 210938
Thanks - I bought mine on eBay and it didn’t come with the tip sheet so this is very helpful. I also saw an earlier post of yours about fully submerging the bottle to condition it so I did that.
I put the Tennessee whiskey in my bottle this afternoon - I’ll post about my results.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
Following on from my King Goblin ale, my 10pm pour last night was a fat tumbler of Jim Beam Black Label with a tiny splash of water.

I'm a huge fan of all things Jim Beam and Black Label, along with Devil's Cut & Double Oak is one of my favourites.

View attachment 211161
Bottoms up,

Jay.

PS: Why has no one invented an emoji for 'cheers'?
That's a good one, and all the others you mentioned. I have a bottle of Black Label at home right now waiting to be cracked open, maybe after work today. Cheers 🥃

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Following on from my King Goblin ale, my 10pm pour last night was a fat tumbler of Jim Beam Black Label with a tiny splash of water.

I'm a huge fan of all things Jim Beam and Black Label, along with Devil's Cut & Double Oak is one of my favourites.

View attachment 211161
Bottoms up,

Jay.

PS: Why has no one invented an emoji for 'cheers'?
🍻Cheers!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Dinner for six last night at a friend’s place.

Food was good, the company better.

All bottles opened up well.
The “star” was a 1952 (birth year) Seppelts (Australian) vintage port
So young, fresh, full of life with absolutely no signs of being over the hill
Lucky to have one more bottle in the cellar - a birthday gift from a good mate
C653A6D6-86F0-4CB1-8AEF-9975013FCCD0.jpeg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My 10pm treat last night was Wood's Rum (57%), a Guyanan rum that is strangely enough matured in Scotland for 7 or 8 years :oops:.

Very dark (caramel?) and very treacly, this is a delightful rum that (for me at least) needs a splash of water to bring out the flavours and slightly deaden the high proof.

1 rum.jpg

Bottoms up,

Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.