PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
A few years ago at my local Asda supermarket, Old Speckled Hen bottled beer (5% abv) was on special offer at £7 per case of 6 bottles. This was quite the bargain and over about 4 weeks I acquired about 12 cases.

Slowly they got consumed but out of curiosity I hung onto the last 6 cases just to see if it improved in any way over time. Well, I opened a case yesterday and pulled out a bottle.

On the neck of the bottle, in tiny etched print it states "Best Before June 2019" so I presume I bought them circa 2017-2018.

I could see there was sediment at the bottom of the bottle as I expected there to be, so when it came to pouring I was very careful not to disturb it too much. The pouring took about a minute and a half but my god was it worth it!

It was so different from how it used to be, being more fruity and slightly drier (obviously). The overall depth of flavours was much enhanced and it was a delight to sample.

What is more pleasing is that I have another 35 bottles left :).

Regards,

Jay.

PS: Interestingly, the brewers, Morlands, also do an Old Crafty Hen bottled ale which is 6.5% abv and is basically Old Speckled Hen that has been aged many months in oak barrels.

1 hen.jpg

1 henn.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
A few years ago at my local Asda supermarket, Old Speckled Hen bottled beer (5% abv) was on special offer at £7 per case of 6 bottles. This was quite the bargain and over about 4 weeks I acquired about 12 cases.

Slowly they got consumed but out of curiosity I hung onto the last 6 cases just to see if it improved in any way over time. Well, I opened a case yesterday and pulled out a bottle.

On the neck of the bottle, in tiny etched print it states "Best Before June 2019" so I presume I bought them circa 2017-2018.

I could see there was sediment at the bottom of the bottle as I expected there to be, so when it came to pouring I was very careful not to disturb it too much. The pouring took about a minute and a half but my god was it worth it!

It was so different from how it used to be, being more fruity and slightly drier (obviously). The overall depth of flavours was much enhanced and it was a delight to sample.

What is more pleasing is that I have another 35 bottles left :).

Regards,

Jay.

PS: Interestingly, the brewers, Morlands, also do an Old Crafty Hen bottled ale which is 6.5% abv and is basically Old Speckled Hen that has been aged many months in oak barrels.

View attachment 206222

View attachment 206223
Used to love that stuff when our local grocers were more diverse in beer choices.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Not much compares to a good German beer.
Well, maybe Old Speckled Hen, I love it.
In the cellar are 10+ year old beers, so plenty Barley wine to enjoy.
Cheers Jay !
I also have several bottles of Robinson's Old Tom ale (8.5%) that is more barley wine than ale. They actually state on the label that it is perfect for 'laying down' for a few years. They even print the bottling year on the crown cap so you can see how old your ale is.

I'm so tempted to crack one open but I only have 6 and they're only about 5 years old....but one day ;).

1 olt tom.jpg
Regards & happy drinking,

Jay.

BTW, I had some really interesting Dutch, German and especially Belgian ales on my 2 visits to the Assen TT races back in the late 80's. Some of those ales would blow your socks off!

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Was able to get some Whitley Neill gin for Christmas, rhubarb & ginger flavored and a raspberry flavored one too. Unfortunately the rhubarb & ginger has long gone, but I have the slight remains of the raspberry flavored gin to finish. A few buddies & I had a few drinks last Saturday.
I haven't seen any of the flavored WN gins here in Korea, only the straight gin, so I guess I'll give it a try.

Attachments

• Gin.jpg
    Gin.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.