PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My honest recommendation would be to get a Paglione Oak Bottle. It has transformed a few harsh whiskies into something surprisingly smooth and drinkable in just a few days for us. Be sure to follow the directions and presoak the Oak Bottle by submerging it in water. I made the mistake of only putting water on the inside and the oak suffered a catastrophic crack because the outside was too dry and expanded at a different rate than the inside. You can probably snag one on eBay for half of what they cost new. It’s fun to play with and is quite effective. We own three or four of them.
Is the Paglione Oak Bottle a similar concept as an oak barrel for infusions (high proof booze and liquor "essence" put into the barrel for a few weeks to create "bourbon")?

I own a barrel that is more of a display piece. While i have the essence bottles to make "booze", I just haven't gotten around to it.

20220807_190153.jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Is the Paglione Oak Bottle a similar concept as an oak barrel for infusions (high proof booze and liquor "essence" put into the barrel for a few weeks to create "bourbon")?

I own a barrel that is more of a display piece. While i have the essence bottles to make "booze", I just haven't gotten around to it.

View attachment 207280

Yes, but it happens more quickly because of the amount of the charred surface area contact with a smaller amount of liquid (750 ml) as compared to a huge barrel where the middle of the liquid is not touching the sides of the wood.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Yup, it’s kind of amazing. We did an experiment with a fourteen dollar bottle of Evan Williams, which we found pretty rough around the edges awhile back. We set some aside as is, aged some for two days in the Oak Bottle, and some more for three days. We did a tasting with some friends and tried all three versions. Our friends said if they didn’t know what was done, they would’ve thought the three day batch was a much costlier whisky.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
So me, my stepdaughter and her friend were in a massive wonderful liquor store in Oxford MS the other day, and were discussing different scotches which I love to do. She asked me why I liked scotch, and I said that it was mainly what my dad drank, so I developed a taste for it too. What brand did he drink? Mostly Scoresby or Teachers Highland Cream. So why don't you buy a bottle of that, she asked. Because I'm not that fond of either. Oh go on, try one she said as I was glancing at the $14 dollar bottle of Scoresby on the shelf down near the floor. So I thought, it's been at least 40 years since I'd tasted it, so why not?

Ok, I'll tell you why not, it's bad, as in not good the way paint thinner is bad to drink. Still I didn't want to waste it but the only thing I could think to do was add soda. Surprising it was much more drinkable, still not good though. So I ask you fellow scotch lovers, what would you mix this with to drink without sacrificing something else that's really good?

View attachment 207239
The oak bottle is a good idea. You get a small stave of oak, char it and dump that in the bottle. You could also get peat smoke essence and add a few drops.
Screenshot_20230305-195254_Chrome.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
The oak bottle is a good idea. You get a small stave of oak, char it and dump that in the bottle. You could also get peat smoke essence and add a few drops.
View attachment 207310
Ooo, that looks interesting. I mean how much worse could it make it. Probably a better bet than using Liquid Smoke that you put on steaks to make them taste barbecued.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Plum Porter, a delicious pint from the titanic brewery. Memories rekindled of my late grandmother's 'plum duff' pudding. A cold night here & this is going down wonderfully.
DSC_0277.JPG
@mawnansmiff
Jay, if you're fond of Johnny walker Black Label, waitrose has it on offer... £21 a 70cl bottle, down from £32.50(!)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Had me some Sharp's Doom Bar (4.3%) ale last night. This started out as a small independent Cornish brewery but soon got itself gobbled up by one of the UK's brewing giants. It is now apparently Britain's best selling ale!

A good session beer that is light with the malt taste and not at all strong, very refreshing on a warm summer's evening.....roll on summer I say!

1 doom.jpg
Cheers,

Jay.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
My honest recommendation would be to get a Paglione Oak Bottle. It has transformed a few harsh whiskies into something surprisingly smooth and drinkable in just a few days for us. Be sure to follow the directions and presoak the Oak Bottle by submerging it in water. I made the mistake of only putting water on the inside and the oak suffered a catastrophic crack because the outside was too dry and expanded at a different rate than the inside. You can probably snag one on eBay for half of what they cost new. It’s fun to play with and is quite effective. We own three or four of them.
I just purchased a Paglione Oak Bottle and can’t wait to try it out. I was given a large bottle of Tennessee Whiskey by one of my wife’s friends and I’m hoping that “oaking” it will improve the taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.