PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I also have several bottles of Robinson's Old Tom ale (8.5%) that is more barley wine than ale. They actually state on the label that it is perfect for 'laying down' for a few years. They even print the bottling year on the crown cap so you can see how old your ale is.

I'm so tempted to crack one open but I only have 6 and they're only about 5 years old....but one day ;).

View attachment 206302
Regards & happy drinking,

Jay.

BTW, I had some really interesting Dutch, German and especially Belgian ales on my 2 visits to the Assen TT races back in the late 80's. Some of those ales would blow your socks off!
No less than 800+ breweries in our tiny country, more than in medieval times :)
A micro one is located in our hamlet, right opposite the woods where we live.
They brew an excellent tripel and a most agreeable bock beer.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
How did you store them? Did you keep them in the fridge or just in a cupboard? I have a bottle of amazing beer from the Lake District I've been saving, and it's sat in the fridge for a year, and not sure if that's the best idea. Maybe I should move it to the wine fridge?
The refrigerator is probably the best place for storing beer long term. You'll get less oxidation with the cool temperature. I have bottles of barley wine that I have stored refrigerated for over ten years and they are still great.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
So me, my stepdaughter and her friend were in a massive wonderful liquor store in Oxford MS the other day, and were discussing different scotches which I love to do. She asked me why I liked scotch, and I said that it was mainly what my dad drank, so I developed a taste for it too. What brand did he drink? Mostly Scoresby or Teachers Highland Cream. So why don't you buy a bottle of that, she asked. Because I'm not that fond of either. Oh go on, try one she said as I was glancing at the $14 dollar bottle of Scoresby on the shelf down near the floor. So I thought, it's been at least 40 years since I'd tasted it, so why not?

Ok, I'll tell you why not, it's bad, as in not good the way paint thinner is bad to drink. Still I didn't want to waste it but the only thing I could think to do was add soda. Surprising it was much more drinkable, still not good though. So I ask you fellow scotch lovers, what would you mix this with to drink without sacrificing something else that's really good?

DA2B135F-0019-43B7-AE0E-F5419579E9B0_1_201_a.jpeg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
So me, my stepdaughter and her friend were in a massive wonderful liquor store in Oxford MS the other day, and were discussing different scotches which I love to do. She asked me why I liked scotch, and I said that it was mainly what my dad drank, so I developed a taste for it too. What brand did he drink? Mostly Scoresby or Teachers Highland Cream. So why don't you buy a bottle of that, she asked. Because I'm not that fond of either. Oh go on, try one she said as I was glancing at the $14 dollar bottle of Scoresby on the shelf down near the floor. So I thought, it's been at least 40 years since I'd tasted it, so why not?

Ok, I'll tell you why not, it's bad, as in not good the way paint thinner is bad to drink. Still I didn't want to waste it but the only thing I could think to do was add soda. Surprising it was much more drinkable, still not good though. So I ask you fellow scotch lovers, what would you mix this with to drink without sacrificing something else that's really good?

View attachment 207239

My honest recommendation would be to get a Paglione Oak Bottle. It has transformed a few harsh whiskies into something surprisingly smooth and drinkable in just a few days for us. Be sure to follow the directions and presoak the Oak Bottle by submerging it in water. I made the mistake of only putting water on the inside and the oak suffered a catastrophic crack because the outside was too dry and expanded at a different rate than the inside. You can probably snag one on eBay for half of what they cost new. It’s fun to play with and is quite effective. We own three or four of them.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021

View attachment 207239
I had a similar experience with Clan Mac Gregor, I powered through by mixing it with Coke or Pepsi. After a couple glasses I forgot that it was bad. The Paglione Oak Bottle sounds interesting. But for a $14 bottle, I would just mix it with a soda that makes it bearable. Screenshot_20230305-084632~2.pngBAD, BAD, BAD...I get shivers just looking at it.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I had a similar experience with Clan Mac Gregor, I powered through by mixing it with Coke or Pepsi. After a couple glasses I forgot that it was bad. The Paglione Oak Bottle sounds interesting. But for a $14 bottle, I would just mix it with a soda that makes it bearable. View attachment 207260BAD, BAD, BAD...I get shivers just looking at it.
I agree, the Paglione oak bottle sounds interesting, but at about $50 for a used one, I think I'd rather spend the money on something I like to drink rather than try to make something I don't like a little better. So, soda it is!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK

View attachment 207239
I like ginger ale with the cheapo, gut rot variety of scotches.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I had a similar experience with Clan Mac Gregor, I powered through by mixing it with Coke or Pepsi. After a couple glasses I forgot that it was bad. The Paglione Oak Bottle sounds interesting. But for a $14 bottle, I would just mix it with a soda that makes it bearable. View attachment 207260BAD, BAD, BAD...I get shivers just looking at it.

Clan MacGregor was on sale at a local Pennsylvania shop for six dollars for a bottle a couple of years ago. Curiosity got the better of us and we bought one. I had to find out what a six dollar bottle of whisky could offer. I was surprised it was as smooth as it was on its own, but into the Oak Bottle it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.