What Are The Physics Of "Thick Wall = Cool Smoke"?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like LBT's analysis, but I wonder if correct, if the coolness is perceptible or merely measurable. In hundredths of a degree, for example. I haven't noticed it, but some seem to feel they have. And theater of the absurd is alive and well on Forums. We're waiting for Godot, and his thick-walled pipe.

Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr
Do any of you guys regularly smoke really large walled pipes of nice make and model? Especially the ones throwing out deductions "based on science", or are you just guessing off the tops of your heads, because of your own rhymes and reasons?

I mean, it's like saying that 'no one can jump ten feet, because you've never jumped ten feet, or that you just don't see how jumping ten feet is possible. Or, I'm not even going to try jumping ten feet, because I just don't see how.

Damn, I mean, for years we all just let Harris keep telling us that he is allergic to red Virginias without asking him for a scientific explanation for how that is even possible. Even though no one else in the history of pipesmoking has had a similar issue.

Proving a negative is impossible. No one can prove there is no Bigfoot, because science just doesn't work that way. We can't prove Harris isn't allergic to reds, anymore than we can prove that some large walled pipes don't cool off the smoke. Nor, can we prove that a long ass churchwarden doesn't cool off the smoke, but guys for hundreds of years have said so.

You know why those brain damaged morons keep saying the world is flat? Because no one wants to give a total mouth breathing idiotic fool like that a simple ride in a jet where they can easily see the curvature of the world. They just aren't worth the effort. And, if you had two flat-earthers, and only took one up, the other would continue to insist the earth was flat, because they take no one's word, photographic, nor scientific evidence as fact, because they are just idiots.

And, you cannot prove a negative. puffy

LBT

Lurker
Aug 10, 2020
Central Oregon
I like LBT's analysis, but I wonder if correct, if the coolness is perceptible or merely measurable. In hundredths of a degree, for example.

Naturally, this is the next question! I've scratched around for a simple way to answer it, but have failed (when you quantify the difference, it becomes a far more difficult problem to answer). If I have an inspiration, I'll post it.

Per the rest, if I may...

I found R2P's original post intriguing. I had my intuition, but needed to assess if that intuition was theoretically valid. Turns out, it was, and the more I thought about it, I felt this was an excellent first year physics exam question re: thermodynamics. The student would have to define the system, figure out what defensible assumptions to make in order to make the half dozen unknown variables cancel out, and provide an answer. In a properly focused, academic setting, it's a wonderful question!

However, there are a few implications of above:
  1. Physics is parsimonious and arcane; hence, I'd expect for the majority of folks, my posts sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.
  2. Subjective experience, however, is anything but 1. Moreover, it is how most of us navigate through a question like this.
  3. Thus, for completeness, I'd argue this:
    • The phenomenon is absolutely measurable! (an eternal back-and-forth between theorists and experimentalists - along the lines of, 'yeah, nice theory, now make a prediction I can measure' - all fair game)
    • I don't know if the phenomenon is perceptible. Based upon the responses, I'd say, maybe...
  4. I do find it interesting that, however it came about, "Thick Wall = Cool Smoke" existed in some form. Nor am I surprised there's skepticism around the claim.
If Road-to-Pines asked about people's experience re: "Thick Wall = Cool Smoke," then I I would have continued lurking, for my experience pales against so many of this valuable forum. However, I was able to exploit the
the literalness of Road-to-Pine's question: "What are the Physics of 'Thick Wall = Cool Smoke?'" to make a contribution. Queue my entrance and introductory posts to the forum (Hi, all - long time lurker, first time poster. I hate introducing myself through the normal channel - sorry for this breach of decorum).

Lee

PS - for many reasons, I'm glad I no longer have to do reps in the classroom (that part of my life passed a long time ago), for I can imagine many of the answers coming back saying no one uses a pipe anymore, everyone vapes, and if they don't, they're using a bong, etc., etc., etc...

PPS - Waiting for Gadot - lovely metaphor!

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
Do any of you guys regularly smoke really large walled pipes of nice make and model? Especially the ones throwing out deductions "based on science", or are you just guessing off the tops of your heads, because of your own rhymes and reasons?

I mean, it's like saying that 'no one can jump ten feet, because you've never jumped ten feet, or that you just don't see how jumping ten feet is possible. Or, I'm not even going to try jumping ten feet, because I just don't see how.

Damn, I mean, for years we all just let Harris keep telling us that he is allergic to red Virginias without asking him for a scientific explanation for how that is even possible. Even though no one else in the history of pipesmoking has had a similar issue.

Proving a negative is impossible. No one can prove there is no Bigfoot, because science just doesn't work that way. We can't prove Harris isn't allergic to reds, anymore than we can prove that some large walled pipes don't cool off the smoke. Nor, can we prove that a long ass churchwarden doesn't cool off the smoke, but guys for hundreds of years have said so.

You know why those brain damaged morons keep saying the world is flat? Because no one wants to give a total mouth breathing idiotic fool like that a simple ride in a jet where they can easily see the curvature of the world. They just aren't worth the effort. And, if you had two flat-earthers, and only took one up, the other would continue to insist the earth was flat, because they take no one's word, photographic, nor scientific evidence as fact, because they are just idiots.

Back in the early 80's I was lucky enough to fly on a Concorde from New York to London. At 60,000 feet altitude the earth's curvature is quite obvious.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
It would be interesting if something like this could be made to fit around a pipe (poker would be the only shape that would work I guess). Then again, a skilled pipe maker could just carve briar to have fins.

cb7a258d-b945-4b9e-b2ad-84395035d1c1.jpg

*Edit - I did another web search and wouldn't you know it..

456_3.jpg

98377f5b01e46e617a11d2d5b19da64a_large.jpg

Back in the early 80's I was lucky enough to fly on a Concorde from New York to London. At 60,000 feet altitude the earth's curvature is quite obvious.
I've stood behind my own assessment of the world in that... if the world had edges, then there would have to of been a government agency of some sort created... just to rescue Scandinavian metal bands that go out there to take band pictures. :::drops mic:::

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Cos, Let's trade tongues for a day and then you can feel the acid burn of reds. I am guessing it is a uric acid issue as I have had kidney stones made of uric acid at least 7 times. The reason I know it is definitely red Virginia is I smoke a ton of every other Virginia with no issues. I can smoke them all day 6 bowls or more in a row and never get tongue bite or any type of tongue issue. The minute a red hits my tongue I get an acid burn that fucking hurts and I have to dump the bowl. Also back in 2012 or so someone brought up the issue of an allergy to reds, I didn't have a clue, but when this person made the connection for me a light went off and that is when I really paid attention to what was in my blends and it allowed me to start building my cellar.

I have avoided reds for years but screwed up on SG Cabbies Mixture because I didn't do my homework, I assumed that since I have no other SG flakes with reds, Cabbies wouldn't have any, boy was I wrong. Luckily I only bought 25 in that first shot and I will have no issues moving them when the time is right.

The only McClelland I have in stock is their Butera Dark Stoved which is made from Lemon Virginia's and they are fine for me. All of their reds burn like a bitch and I had to learn it the hard way. For years I have asked Jiminks if a blend I was interested in had any reds, if he said it did, I stayed away from the blend, I forgot to ask about Cabbies.

As far as bowl thickness I would say most of my bowls are average as weight is important to me because I clench almost all the time. I had one thin walled Rad Davis Belge and the walls were really thin which made me change my normal cadence to keep the pipe smoking cool. I eventually sold it because it was a pain in the ass as I don't change my cadence for any pipe.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I mostly smoke medium to thicker bowls. I don't know if the smoke gets hot with a thinner bowl, I doubt there is a significant difference as the science I understand doesn't support that. But the bowl sure gets warmer.

As far as Harris's allergy to red Virginia's, he's far from the only one I've read about having this kind of reaction. I have a similar reaction to Latakia. What I don't know it's if that is because I smoke Virginia's all day and then follow them with a Latakia blend at the end of the day. I don't care for Latakia enough to further the experiment the reaction however it's real, not a figment of my imagination. Some Latakia blends, like Quiet Nights, seem to have a minimal affect. Others, such as Penzance, tear my tongue up big time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It would be interesting if something like this could be made to fit around a pipe (poker would be the only shape that would work I guess). Then again, a skilled pipe maker could just carve briar to have fins.

cb7a258d-b945-4b9e-b2ad-84395035d1c1.jpg

*Edit - I did another web search and wouldn't you know it..

456_3.jpg

98377f5b01e46e617a11d2d5b19da64a_large.jpg
002-457-4377.9592.jpg

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I won’t say the thick walled pipe discussion is the consistently dumbest subject in forumdom, but it certainly brings out mathy guys trying to apply rules to an inconsistent material that gets inconsistently loaded with inconsistent material, which is then inconsistently heated.
Okay, it is the dumbest subject in forumdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.