PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
What's a heat sink?
It's a basin for washing your heats.

J/K

It's basically anything designed to remove heat from one system and transfer the heat to another system at a different rate.

Here you can see a metal heat sink on top of a CPU processor ship:

s-l1000.jpg

The metal rapidly absorbs/removes heat from the chip it is attached to and radiates it away (with the help of a fan in this example.)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The two primary methods for transferring heat is convection and conduction. Convection cooling is accomplished by a flow of fluid (air, water) across the heated object. Conduction cooling is accomplished by a cooler object touching the hotter object (heat sink on a computer motherboard, the baffled looking aluminum on a lawn mower engine).

The briar itself is a heat sink, you're transferring heat from the tobacco to the briar. In general, that seems to be fairly effective. Not sure how much more is needed.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
If a pipe needs a heat sink it needs a redesign. That said I have a Vauen 4161 with a heavy lacquer coating that is a HOT smoker. I dry my tobacco, I don't smoke like a steam engine and I've tried several different blends, but you can't hold it by the bowl when smoking. It's the only pipe in my collection with a heavy lacquer so I can only assume that has something to do with it as my other Vauens are terrific pipes.