PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
If a pipe needs a heat sink it needs a redesign. That said I have a Vauen 4161 with a heavy lacquer coating that is a HOT smoker. I dry my tobacco, I don't smoke like a steam engine and I've tried several different blends, but you can't hold it by the bowl when smoking. It's the only pipe in my collection with a heavy lacquer so I can only assume that has something to do with it as my other Vauens are terrific pipes.
I think my Vauen is my best pipe that thing smokes super cool and looks great doing it too.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Though novel, I've never noticed a difference between them and any other pipe.
I definitely cannot tell the difference either with a wetter smoke but I'd swear with something that I've really dried out I can tell the difference. Mind though, from your description of your smoking you are going at a terrifically slower pace than I am so maybe dry and hot/fast smoking makes the difference whereas very slow smoking is cool no matter the pipe.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Has anybody here actually touched a working heat sink?

Briar is a great material for pipes NOT because it conducts heat, but because it is heat resistant and a very good insulator. If your pipe is getting hot, it's because too much heat is getting through to your hand. Adding a heat sink to conduct more heat away from the bowl would make it harder to hold.

If you want to machine pipes out of aluminum, have at 'er but I doubt there will be much of a market for them.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have a Mincer and a Swanks version of the Doodler. Have to think that it's the original radiator design.

345px-Doodler-R%26L.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My point, which you seem to have missed, is that heat sinks get hot.
My point which you seem to have missed is that a heat sink on a pipe is ridiculous. And I was answering your question, "Has anybody here actually touched a working heat sink?" So once again, yep, I've used many on brushless motors on my RC helicopters, and yes they do get hot.

0703111648.jpg

Reactions: jpmcwjr