What Are The Physics Of "Thick Wall = Cool Smoke"?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Oh, and also very significant: the duration of contact between smoke/gas and the passageway; and therefore the strength of the draw and the speed of the current through the pipe. (See "venturi effect" elsewhere in this thread.)
Yup, maybe that's why some makers churn out pipes with a metal stem (e.g. Nording's Compass): these should be more efficient in terms of heat transfer. They increase condensation in the stem, though, especially when smoked in cold conditions.

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
It's easy to see why some smokers might conclude (erroneously) that there's no physics involved. Again, there're plenty of physics there, but it's a chaotic system. All we can do here is approximate, and then have a personal experience, and adjust our variables and technique individually based on what feels comfortable to us. Always follow your tongue.

I agree wholeheartedly. (In case you thought I'm one of the ones who think physics isn't involved.) In fact, it's the interplay of forces both beyond our perception and within it that constitutes magic. Magic and physics don't exist outside of each other. This is made evident when we actually experience the pipefull of tobacco at hand.

Since our individual apparatus, environment, proclivities, and momentary activity vary and are impossible to predict with complete accuracy, the smoking experience is a very individual one. You make it, you get it; you produce a cause, you get a result.

Maybe that's what we can recognize together: our primacy within our own experience.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
(In case you thought I'm one of the ones who think physics isn't involved.)
Nope. I wasn't thinking of you when I typed that, but of some others who expressed essentially as much when this topic came up years ago. ;)

Now, if you wanna open another and much more wiggly can o' worms, open a thread discussing chamber geometry and its effects on temperature, flavour, &c. ?

Reactions: Road To Pines

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've scorched my tongue with those too!!

I should smoke nothing but chibouks, and I bet I'd still manage to singe my mouth with those. ?
picture-0081.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I finished!.. it’s 42!!! The answer is 42!! Did I win?

was there supposed to be letters left over? And that symbol thingy? Crap! Now I’m not sure. was that pie? I like pie.
Ding, ding, ding; we have a winner! 42 is always the answer. Some leftovers, though:

Shirley, pie being mentioned, we should all have a nice piece. Lemon meringue for me.

Perhaps someone can come up with a formula equating the cost of a pipe with its smokeworthiness.

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Bravo! I read all 4 pages of this post and learned absolutely nothing. A lot of hot air discussing hot air. Epic thread.

If I were where you are, I'd offer you a pinch of tobacco and suggest we sit ourselves down and have a real experience for half an hour or so.

Warning: may also result in nothing but hot air. On paper, at least... if we're keeping score.

And yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.